Pump for glycol chiller? How cold is too cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

safedude

Reaction score
Anyone know of a small submersible pump that can handle a 1:3 glycol/water mix at ~0 degrees F? Im looking to pump about 10 gallons.

I am not sure a submersible pump will work at that temperature. Isn't the glycol solution kinda thick? Your safest bet is a AC centrifugal pump.

I am not sure a submersible pump will work at that temperature. Isn't the glycol solution kinda thick? Your safest bet is a AC centrifugal pump.

Damn, really? The few times I've read about glycol chillers they all reference aquarium or small pond pumps. I couldn't find a specific type though. AC centrifugal pumps are pretty pricey ($200+). It kind of defeats the purpose of me building a glycol chiller.

I haven't mixed the solution yet. The glycol is pretty thick when cool, but I was hoping it'd thin out with 2 parts water. Maybe I won't drop the temp that far.

All the pone pumps have a minimum working temperature l. You can check this out. It is possible that the glicol and water would be thin enough but the temperature may be too low.

I use very cheap submersible pond pumps in a propylene glycol/water solution and they are working fine. Normally I stay more 40-50 range but will go down to 20F no issues. Colder temp really isn't an issue as long as you aren't icing up.

I use very cheap submersible pond pumps in a propylene glycol/water solution and they are working fine. Normally I stay more 40-50 range but will go down to 20F no issues. Colder temp really isn't an issue as long as you aren't icing up.

This. A decent pond pump works fine at glycol temps. I run my system at 27F and I've never had a problem, and I've had the same pump since 1995.

Cheers,
--
Don

Here you go, it seems that it will work :-D sorry for my ramblings.
Do you have a thread with you glycol chiller? It sounds interesting.

I hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread but I was curious to know if a glycol solution would be OK to sit inside of a chest freezer making direct contact with the inner lining? Hopefully in June I'll be purchasing. Chronicle brewmaster edition ma would like to build glycol set up for it. I've read the tutorial on using a AV unit but I already have this small 5.3 cft chest freezer. My idea was to simply fill it with a glycol solution drop the pump in there and hook it up to the chronicle.

I hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread but I was curious to know if a glycol solution would be OK to sit inside of a chest freezer making direct contact with the inner lining? Hopefully in June I'll be purchasing. Chronicle brewmaster edition ma would like to build glycol set up for it. I've read the tutorial on using a AV unit but I already have this small 5.3 cft chest freezer. My idea was to simply fill it with a glycol solution drop the pump in there and hook it up to the chronicle.

I know Ive seen someone do that on here. Glycol wont eat through your chest freezer if that's what you are worried about. Look up pricing of glycol before you decide to go that route however. You really dont need such a large reservoir.

I know Ive seen someone do that on here. Glycol wont eat through your chest freezer if that's what you are worried about. Look up pricing of glycol before you decide to go that route however. You really dont need such a large reservoir.

Awesome thank you google wouldn't give me anything so in glad you responded. I'll look into pricing, maybe I can just put a smaller container filled with the glycol and do it that way. Now my question is, is the higher volume of glycol going to result in better efficiency.

Awesome thank you google wouldn't give me anything so in glad you responded. I'll look into pricing, maybe I can just put a smaller container filled with the glycol and do it that way. Now my question is, is the higher volume of glycol going to result in better efficiency.

It'd mean the chest freezer would run less if that's what you meant by efficiency.

Back