pump for cleaning cycle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

austinb

Reaction score
Hi i am looking for a pump that i can use to run a cleaning cycle through my counter flow chiller and other beer lines. I was planning on filling my brew kettle partway with pbw solution and circulating through the chiller to make sure everything remains clean. I would also occasionally run it through my cooler mash/lauter tun to make sure the drilled tubing at the bottom remained clean. The problem is i cannot afford a march pump so i was wondering what other options are available for this purpose. I don't plan on using it to move beer, i'll still use gravity for that.

Could i just use a magnetic drive pond pump as long as it has both an inlet and outlet i can attach hoses to? If so what is the minimum gph pump for this purpose? Any other cheap pumps for this purpose?

I can really only afford to spend about $40 but the cheaper the better and more accepting of this purchase my wife will be.

the specs of the pump are really up to you, only except that the head pressure on it must be able to get water into whatever you are pumping cleaner through.

yes you can use a pond pump if you can attach hoses to it. just search amazon.com for "pump" and put the max $ of 40. you will get several results. take your pick.

A pond/fountain pump would probably work, as long as you're not running hot water through it. I have a drill powered pump that is designed for drinking water and is rated to 220 degrees. Something like that would work as well.

you could fill a corny keg with pbw, put pressure on it and pump solution that way, I find it very handy

I don't have cornys so i cant do that. I could only find submersible pumps under $50. I'd really like one with an inlet and outlet so i could use it to clean my mash/lauter tun manifold. Anyone know of any super secret pumps like that available online? Or should i just get a drill driven pump and tape the trigger on my drill?

harbor freight has some utility pumps in the 25-40 dollar range that accept garden hose fittings. you could look at Laing D5's, or swiftech MCP350-series pumps, but they might be just out of your price range (usually $60-70).

Harbor freight has some good options, they even have the drill powered pump. I would recommend a submersible dirty water pump that is oil free. If your pump dies on you and it has a sealed oil unit, that oil is now coating all of your brew equipment. If an oil free pump dies, it just dies. Here is a 1/2 horse on ebay for $58 including shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Shut-o...606?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aadcc55e6

I have a small 1/12 hp pump I use to CIP. I got it at lowes for about 50-60. It takes a hose on both the in and out.

Why not just get a good solid March pump that is designed for beer, can handle HOT liquids (like PBW is supposed to be) is sanitary, can attach the right hoses and use it for CIP AND brewing. thats what we did. Never going back to manual drain and gravity again.

Back