Pulled a total rookie mistake...need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crager013

Reaction score
I got a used conical and used it for the first time recently. Beer had fermented out and had a blowoff tube in a bucket of StarSan, about half a gallon of sanitizer.
I opened the bottom value to dump the trub and forgot to removed the blowoff tube from the StarSan.

Yup, I created a vacuum and sucked all that StarSan into my freshly fermented beer.

Now I know StarSan is no rinse but at the quantity that went into my beer, is my beer still drinkable???

I got a used conical and used it for the first time recently. Beer had fermented out and had a blowoff tube in a bucket of StarSan, about half a gallon of sanitizer.
I opened the bottom value to dump the trub and forgot to removed the blowoff tube from the StarSan.

Yup, I created a vacuum and sucked all that StarSan into my freshly fermented beer.

Now I know StarSan is no rinse but at the quantity that went into my beer, is my beer still drinkable???
I wouldn’t. Literally is an acid ment to kill living cells and now it’s 10% of your beer

I wouldn’t. Literally is an acid ment to kill living cells and now it’s 10% of your beer

*****edit

I just review their website and as long as you originally diluted it correctly then it states that you should be fine. Still makes me personally nervous though haha

Give it time to see if it stratifies. May be able to siphon out from under the clearish hazy layer in top. Humm, wonder how I know itll float on top?

i do that all the time. its such a small amount it wont have an effect. kegs will be full of foam and i just transfer onto it.

i should read the post first... how much did you suck in? i wouldn't drink it if it was a good amount. but thanks for sharing i will add this on my list of what not to do. look into putting a valve on the end of it so you can dump and not pull up all the startsan. a Y valve could work so you can pull air and not cause turbulence

Last edited:
I'm not going to make some claim that Star-san is safe at full concentration. I will say that when mixed according to directions is GRAS (generally regarded as safe).
If you used standard dilution (1oz:5gal) you should be at 300ppm (GRAS) adding about 0.5gal of 300ppm to 5 gal of beer gives you about 30ppm of starsan. (Dillution Factor = Volume orginal/volume final or DF=Vi/Vf)
300ppm= 0.5gal/5gal
300ppm= 0.091(9:100)
300×0.091=27.3ppm

Aside from diluted beer and the mental dumbassity that you feel, it is safe. However, you may be more susceptible to infections with any bugs that were onthe surface of the starsan, I would not age the beer.

Whoa, let's stop the hysteria.
How much are we talking about? Did the full half gallon go in?
Star-San is NOT a toxin meant to kill everything in sight. It is a food grade acid that kills unwanted organisms by making the pH too low for them to survive. So when it gets diluted, it loses effectiveness, like when a little gets thrown in some beer.
I'd bet even if yo put in a quart of the stuff, your yeast wouldn't even notice.

Now how it might affect flavor (by dilution and or oxidation) is another matter, that can only be determined when you taste it.

Bottom line is that you should continue making the beer (yes, it will finish and your yeast will be fine), and taste test it when you're done to see if you still like it. If you're talking a pint or so of solution, you won't notice. Two quarts? Maybe, maybe not. If you're talking a gallon, you probably will.

But most important, don't panic, finish the beer and see if it still tastes okay.

Don't feel bad. I once pitched a sample envelope of PBW thinking it was dry yeast.

I didn't drink it and I don't think you should either LOL
HUGE difference between PBW and Star San.
One is food grade and virtually tasteless (Star San), and the other is not.
But you win the DOH! award for the day!

I can confirm PBW does NOT taste good, FYI.

It is a food grade acid that kills unwanted organisms by making the pH too low for them to survive.
The DBSA (surfactant) is the active ingredient in Star San. Lowering the pH makes it effective at increasing cell wall permeability and disrupting cellular function (probably in combination with the acid).

Cheers

Pretty sure I legged on top of ~1/5 gal of star San one time...drank the whole keg and I’m alive

Back