Pseudo Lager D-Rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BroomVikin

Reaction score
I decided to try my hand at a Baltic Porter and I've got a question. Even though this is technically an ale recipe I used WLP810 which is a lager yeast. My OG was 1.072 and after a week at 56 degrees I had gotten down to 1.034. I let it sit another week and (forgot to take another reading) and ramped the temp up to 70 degrees for a diacetyl rest. My question is this, having never brewed a lager before (either real or kind of real) how long should I let it "rest"?

The diacetyl rest doesn't require a long time. 24 hours should be fine. Make it 2 days if you like. By the way, Baltic porter is a lager style, and when you brew anything with lager yeast and at lager temps, it is by default lager.

What I usually do with 810 is start in the 50's for 4 days and slowly come up to 62 over 2 weeks. Never have diacetyl in lighter beers. I would bet your fine.

So I should give it two days, hope to be near 1.024 and call it a day? That sounds easier than I was expecting. I'd be happy to keg it up tomorrow.

I'm sure it's good to go from a D-rest perspective. 70F is pretty high as an endpoint, so even during the time you ramped up through the 60s, the yeast were probably taking care of it.

My usual sequence for a low/middle gravity lager is 48F for one week, ramp up 2 degrees per day to 62F (second week), sit for two days, drop down to 35F over three days, let sit for two days (three weeks elapsed), then keg. Allow to carb for one week before drinking (four weeks elapsed).

Then at that point, you can serve periodically, lagering as you go. This satisfies the urge to taste it fairly soon, and also shows you how it matures over time.

I'm sure it's good to go from a D-rest perspective. 70F is pretty high as an endpoint, so even during the time you ramped up through the 60s, the yeast were probably taking care of it.

My usual sequence for a low/middle gravity lager is 48F for one week, ramp up 2 degrees per day to 62F (second week), sit for two days, drop down to 35F over three days, let sit for two days (three weeks elapsed), then keg. Allow to carb for one week before drinking (four weeks elapsed).

Then at that point, you can serve periodically, lagering as you go. This satisfies the urge to taste it fairly soon, and also shows you how it matures over time.
Awesome! Thanks for the time breakdown.

Back