PSA: Using Imitation Rum Extract in Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-Happy

Reaction score
Thought I would pass on my experience, since I am guessing that more of us on here are reluctant to pass on problems or mistakes. I think of mistakes as the path stones to success.

I brewed up the London Porter from Austin Homebrew on 12/23.

I decided to split the batch: 2.5 gals unaltered and 2.5 gals with the rum extract.

I added 1oz of McCormick's Imitation Rum Extract in the bottling bucket with the priming sugar.

Bottled conditioned for ~2wks now. I sampled a few days after bottling and since.

It has a rum like aroma plus an almost floral scent. It is the taste that is the issue. If you have ever camped and cooked over an open fire, you know what an "ashy" flavor is like. Especially, if you have ever dropped a hot dog in the ashes and eaten it anyway! :D Now, this beer has something similar to this flavor. Kindy ashy, alkaline, and slightly harsh. Also, this flavor is not in the unaltered beer.

So, why did I do this?? To add a rum like flavor without having to spend a lot of extra money on rum AND not boost the ABV too much.

So, I am going to see how this ages out, but I wouldn't recommend this as it does not add to the beer's quality. And yes it is still drinkable. :)

Next, I am thinking of brewing a lower abv porter and then adding X amount of spiced rum. But that is for the future.

Extracts often contain a lot of sugar, an that sugar is usually key to the perception of the flavor.

When you toss that in beer, the sugar gets converted to alchohol.

Honestly, I'd first brew or buy bottles of the style before I add the rum or extract. To make sure the flavor is a compliment rather than a flaw.

I thought ESB would be nice with rum. I was wrong. But, a half shot in a Cascade DIPA has a nice complexity to it.

Honestly, I'd first brew or buy bottles of the style before I add the rum or extract. To make sure the flavor is a compliment rather than a flaw.

I thought ESB would be nice with rum. I was wrong. But, a half shot in a Cascade DIPA has a nice complexity to it.

Well, thankfully I am not too picky about my beers. Not that you are :) just that if I make a mistake I am willing to drink it.

Good advice for anyone else who might be thinking of experimenting.

Buy a mixed sixer and add a small amount of adjunct liquor to get a good idea of what it would taste like.

I think many rums have some residual sugar in them due to the yeast being alcohol comatose. When these are diluted in a beer, I assume that the new yeast will consume the additional sugars.

I think many rums have some residual sugar in them due to the yeast being alcohol comatose. When these are diluted in a beer, I assume that the new yeast will consume the additional sugars.

Possibly. You could make a quart size dilution of water and rum and pitch some beer yeast to test. Put on a balloon and see if there is any activity.

I am thinking the amount of residual sugar would be much less than the priming sugar. But if there is any concern, I would reduce the priming sugar by ~10% to compensate.

Back