Prototype Previews: Hopback and Heat Stick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please tell me you're getting the all stainless ripple elements and they aren't going to be 60 bucks.

Awesome. I'll wait then. The only place I've found all stainless ripple elements is brewmation and they want 60 bucks a pop for them.

Hell yes!! I'll be buying 3 of the new 1500 Watt elements when they are in, thanks Bobby!

What will be special about the 1500W elements you'll be offering? They are fairly widely available in a variety of element shape/lengths. I just picked up a low watt density Emerson unit NIB on Ebay for $12.

His elements are all stainless steel, including the threaded base, so no rusting issues.

What will be special about the 1500W elements you'll be offering? They are fairly widely available in a variety of element shape/lengths. I just picked up a low watt density Emerson unit NIB on Ebay for $12.

Every element with a steel base will look like this:
Element2000-3T.jpg

Cool, I figured as much. I ordered a Hot Rod today. Looking forward to trying it out with my cheapo element, knowing I can upgrade if rust becomes an issue. Thanks!

damn, ss ripples, something else to buy. Just when I'm trying to wind down equipment spending, way to be a jerk! But seriously that is awesome, after having a regular one, SS ones should be mandatory.

Other than the lack of rust and general sexiness, is there any efficiency advantage to stainless heating elements? Does a 1500W unit made of one material vs. the other actually function differently?

Got my Heat stick all wired up the other day. My flat glass top stove would not even boil 2 gallons. Put 5 gallons in my pot and dropped my 1500w heat stick in with the stove on high and I had a rolling boil in 35 min. So Happy! :rockin:

FYI: My older home did not have a GFI outlet in the Kitchen. I happened to have one of these already though:
http://www.plccenter.com/en-US/Buy/SQUARE D/GFRP115
If anyone else is in the same boat, worth it to have a portable GFI wherever you need it. You can find them other places too, just first link I found after I googled it.
$36 on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SF-New-HVAC-Parts-Square-D-Qwik-Gard-Receptacle-GFRP-115-/380776852596

Edit: OK, I always had one of these so never looked but I just went looking and there are cheaper options that do the same thing on Lowes.

I've been testing my new system when I had time and I've left water in the hlt for over a week and no rusting on my SS Element.
Thanks Bobby.
PS. I did change the water when I brewed today! 😆

Have you come up with any improvements on the hopback or have you thrown in the towel on that venture?

I have to put it on the backburner because testing it out myself with any design changes requires that I pretty much brew a full batch of something hoppy, over and over. Once I get more employees in place to take some things off my plate, I'll be able to work on it more.

Yeah I get you. I still have one more test to check out the new screens. But as for filtering so far its a bust.

Just finished assembling my hot rod and am leak testing it now. Assembly is relatively easy and the product is really brilliant in its simplicity.

No home improvement stores around me had the recommended power cable available by the foot, so I had to buy a 25' spool. Also, the standard SJOOW cable was only rated for up to 100C. While that probably would have been okay, I didn't want to risk it and bought a slightly more pricey product rated up to 105C. The drawback is that now I have about 10-12' of cable that I'll probably never use.

If anyone is building one and would like to avoid having to go out and find cable, send me a message. If you pay for a shipping label, I'll send you the remainder of my 12-3 SJEOOW cable so long as you promise to put it to good use.

Edit: That was quick! Spare cable claimed.

Hey Bobby, bought two hot rods from you and couldn't be happier! Do you have any plans on stocking 2000w or ideally 2500w 240v stainless elements? If so...Take my money!

I suppose this is a bit (a lot) off topic, but seems like there have been several new products introduced on this page. Would it be difficult to manufacture a 3/4in npt to 1/2 camlock fitting? The idea is that would make it easy to convert garden hose fittings to interface with our brewery hoses. Obviously you can do this with adapters now, but this could cut out that portion. I know it would make my life a bit easier. I have a few things in my brewery that would benefit from not having those extra couple of inches with added adapters, namely it would be truly awesome to have a camlock right on my utility sink. If I used adapters I would no longer be able to slide a carboy underneath it easily. Jet bottle washers would become so much more handy with a set of those on there. Rinsing brewing hoses would become a breaze. Hooking chilling water up, the list goes on.

Just a thought, I know you are always looking for new ideas to fit our needs!

Garden hoses are not 3/4" NPT if I'm understanding your post correctly. You can get a female 3/4" GH x 1/2" Female NPT and attach a camlock fitting to that.

I suppose this is a bit (a lot) off topic, but seems like there have been several new products introduced on this page. Would it be difficult to manufacture a 3/4in npt to 1/2 camlock fitting? The idea is that would make it easy to convert garden hose fittings to interface with our brewery hoses. Obviously you can do this with adapters now, but this could cut out that portion. I know it would make my life a bit easier. I have a few things in my brewery that would benefit from not having those extra couple of inches with added adapters, namely it would be truly awesome to have a camlock right on my utility sink. If I used adapters I would no longer be able to slide a carboy underneath it easily. Jet bottle washers would become so much more handy with a set of those on there. Rinsing brewing hoses would become a breaze. Hooking chilling water up, the list goes on.

Just a thought, I know you are always looking for new ideas to fit our needs!

Stainless versions of these would be cool. http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp...d=10151&pageSize=&filterTerm=&catalogId=10051

Back