Protein rest and break up material

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonPopeil

Reaction score
I usually judge my boil on how much break material i get in the kettle. I did my first protein rest on my an amber style beer (all barley) and the result was no discernible breakup. I"m used to seeing little snot things swirling around but I got nothing like that with this beer. Actually the first time I've seen this. I know I got a good boil going because the thermometer was pegged at 212 and the kettle was rolling itself over pretty well leaving me a bubble island on one side of the kettle.

So the question: Does a protein rest break up proteins to a point where you won't see much breakup material in the boil?

I do not think that you could generalize a protein rest that way. It probably has much to do with the malt you're using, the temperature of the protein rest, and the length of that rest.

Several months ago, I had the opposite experience. I performed a protein rest on a batch and that boil resulted in "egg drop soup", whereas I generally have very little coagulated protein matter swirling around (or they are very small and not very noticeable).

Back