Prost from Northern California

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twalte

Reaction score
I spent twenty years in the beer industry (BMC - please don't hate me) yet never fully understood the brewing process. I started researching home brewing when my career ended, and the information available on this site absolutely saved me. I have always admired the craft beer segment and the flavorful beers available, and now I get to really experience it from concept to keg.

Four batches under my belt...all extract with some steeping grains. So far I have a Red Ale (kegged...and almost empty), Belgian Wit (bottled and fantastic), Russian Imperial Stout (1 week in primary) and American Pale Ale (1 day in primary).

Thanks for all of the great information!!! If it had not been for this site, I would have possibly dumped my diacetyl laden bottled Belgian Wit. Now...two weeks later after bottle conditioning...the beer is fantastic. The motto of Relax, Have a Home Brew is absolutely true.

One tip that I can pass along from my old Boy Scout days that I think will benefit brewers using propane. If you coat the bottom 1/4 of your brew pot with liquid dish detergent before heating, the black soot will come right off when you hit it with the hose. It's an old boy scout trick for cooking over fire, but works great for minimizing soot here too.

Looking forward to learning more!! Hopefully someday I will be able to contribute to someone else's learing. Prost!! :mug:

Welcome to HBT and congrats on your first four batches!. I like your selection, for what its worth - I need to make another Belgian Wit, its been too long - I love that beer because it pairs with such a wide variety of food so well. Your RIS may need to both ferment for a while and then age for a few months. Big beers take more time, generally.

Latest posts

Back