Prost from Cville!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BG Brewster

Homebrew Newb
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Just started brewing a couple months ago with my wife as a fun couples' activity, and now I'm hooked! We've been enjoying the abundance of breweries here in Charlottesville, VA, and wanted to learn more about the process. So we borrowed a soup kettle and a propane burner, bought some brew buckets, gathered up some bottles and tried our hand at homebrewing! It's been a great adventure so far-I love cooking and my wife loves chemistry, so this new hobby has been the perfect combo. I'm a total newb and happy to learn from you all on how to perfect this sweet nectar of life!

Welcome! I live closer to Lynchburg but I'm loving the explosion of breweries in Central VA. My BIL lives in Crozet and won't shut up (haha) about Starr Hill, so I know I've got to go there.

Welcome! I live closer to Lynchburg but I'm loving the explosion of breweries in Central VA. My BIL lives in Crozet and won't shut up (haha) about Starr Hill, so I know I've got to go there.
Yeah, you gotta try Starr Hill! Although to be honest, there's a lot more breweries I'd recommend over Starr Hill in the Cville area (3 Notched, Champion, South Street, Random Row & Hardywood, just to name a few).They're all within a couple blocks of each other. You should come up for the Know Good Beer Winter Fest next weekend-every major brewery in the state will be there showing off their winter brews!

Yeah, you gotta try Starr Hill! Although to be honest, there's a lot more breweries I'd recommend over Starr Hill in the Cville area (3 Notched, Champion, South Street, Random Row & Hardywood, just to name a few).They're all within a couple blocks of each other. You should come up for the Know Good Beer Winter Fest next weekend-every major brewery in the state will be there showing off their winter brews!
Awesome! I'll check it out, thanks!

Purricville has Androit Theory
*Purcellville
*Adroit
You guys surely got some good beer going there.

Wish the MD legislature stopped taking bribes from big beer. We got antiquated beer and alcohol laws. Last year the craft beer bill got 2 votes for and 459 (?) against. We keep trying... :drunk:

I hereby raise a glass to all those brave souls opening up new breweries wherever they are!

*Purcellville
*Adroit
You guys surely got some good beer going there.

Wish the MD legislature stopped taking bribes from big beer. We got antiquated beer and alcohol laws. Last year the craft beer bill got 2 votes for and 459 (?) against. We keep trying... :drunk:

I hereby raise a glass to all those brave souls opening up new breweries wherever they are!
but but you guys got that fancy new huge Guinness place! I still want to check it out.

Hello everyone! Just started brewing a couple months ago with my wife as a fun couples' activity, and now I'm hooked! We've been enjoying the abundance of breweries here in Charlottesville, VA, and wanted to learn more about the process. So we borrowed a soup kettle and a propane burner, bought some brew buckets, gathered up some bottles and tried our hand at homebrewing! It's been a great adventure so far-I love cooking and my wife loves chemistry, so this new hobby has been the perfect combo. I'm a total newb and happy to learn from you all on how to perfect this sweet nectar of life!
Welcome to the forum! I'm in VaBch.

but but you guys got that fancy new huge Guinness place! I still want to check it out.
Yeah, yeah, yeah, haven't been there yet.
I used to live within a 10 minute walking distance from it. They surely poured money into that place to make it look inviting. I heard it's quite OK actually.

They do have a booth at our MD Craft Breweries-only festivals. I guess the "pilot brewery" here qualifies as "Craft" as they are not really part of Guinness/Big Beer in that regard. I.E. they don't brew classic Guinness Draught or Foreign Extra Stout here, those are imported. So that's a nice loophole for them. Haven't had to urge to taste them yet either, there are usually 150+ other beers to be sampled first.

One of the crazy regulations we have in MD is that breweries have limits on how many of their own kegs they can serve yearly in their own taproom(s). Once they hit that (fairly low) limit, they have to buy their own beer back from distributors at distributor pricing... That was one of the issues they wanted to fix with last year's bill.

Welcome to the forum! I'm in VaBch.
There are some good breweries in that part of VA. Richmond and Charlottesville (and even NOVA) all have higher quality breweries than the one's near me. There are plenty of "ok" ones to choose from though.

Also in VA Beach.

Back