Pros/Cons between Liquid and Dry yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellicit

Reaction score
I'm new to the topic and have only used Liquid yeasts, with the exception of some Montrachet (EdWort's Apfelwein). I notice some people are all about using dry yeast and others are only liquid. Is there any benefit to one or another?

I'm new to the topic and have only used Liquid yeasts, with the exception of some Montrachet (EdWort's Apfelwein). I notice some people are all about using dry yeast and others are only liquid. Is there any benefit to one or another?

Liquid
Many more types of yeast each with their own flavor, different emphasis on malt/hops/esters and phenols.

Dry
Keeps longer, more yeast cells per packet (something like 200billion vs 100billion for a brand spanking new pack). Some very popular yeasts like the Chico strain (S 05 > WLP001, Wyeast 1056), Nottingham and a few others. CHEAPER and since they keep longer you can have a backup package in case the liquid yeast doesn't do well in the starter.

If you're going to do something with the Chico or Nottingham strain go for dry, it's cheaper and you don't need a starter. Just be aware that Nottingham has had some bad packets in the past so some people suggest buying extra and rehydrating/proofing before use.

That is one thing I have noticed.... The price. Thanks for the info, I think I need to look more into Dry and get away from the liquid.
COLObrewer, I'm viewing this forum on my iPhone.... Not sure where search is yet, sorry.

Back