Props for Beer Smith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3 Dog Brew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using Beer Smith for a couple of years and ignoring the strike temp because I preheat the mash tun with a RHIMS system.

Well, as it turns out the numbers are correct. I used the strike temp indicated at 164 and hit 153 perfectly.

What does the "H" stand for in RHIMS?

I still batch sparge but I found the same thing...actually I was undershooting my target mash temps using the BeerSmith numbers until I started preheating. However, you can (and I do) input the starting temp of your MLT and it was still missing for me. When I started preheating, I hit my numbers on the nose.

I can only assume that the thermal mass numbers for my MLT are off, but I'm not smart enough to figure out how to fix them.

Do love the "Smith".

I calc it manually though. # of pounds of grains + desired mash temp + 5 degrees.

This is for 10-gallon batches and I hit it every time.

BM - I use that same formula for 5 gallon recipes as well. Typically works, but I wonder if the +5 should be lower due to less grain. What would be your opinion?

What does the "H" stand for in RHIMS?

"Heat" Recirculating Heat Infusion Mash System, which is somewhat of a misnomer, but it is to distinguish between Heat Exchange systems where you move the mash through the boil kettle or some other heated water source.

As I read it, the Infusion systems usually use a water heater element, which is what I use.

I've just started using BeerSmith and must confess I like it. However, I have run into a mystery when using it to calculate my strike temp.

If I use the MASH STEP pop up tool by selecting the strike step from my MASH PROFILE in RECIPE VIEW it gives me a figure of 174.1 degrees for my strike temp.

If however, I use the STRIKE/INFUSION TOOL from the left menu, it gives me 172.9 for the same data. It turns out the 174.1 is correct for my system but the 172.9 is not.

Why are these two sources for the same data not providing the same results?

Anyone know?

Back