Fruit and Spice Beer Proprioceptive Tongue Habanero Mango Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostcheesehead

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Koelsch (WLP029)
Yeast Starter
1L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
5 @ 66F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 @ 66F
Tasting Notes
Light bodied, but with a nice kick of heat. Make sure you follow the pepper prep.
Per request, this is one of 9 beers I made for my wedding. As you can imagine, the key to this beer is the pepper. I took the technique for prepping the peppers from someone on this forum, but for the life of me I cannot remember who. If anyone knows who the pepper guru from the southwest US is, please comment here so I can give him proper credit for his awesome advice. The pepper technique gives you both the flavor and the heat of the pepper without becoming an experiment in masochism, so I cannot emphasize enough to follow the technique.

Note, the recipe below is what I brewed, and I am not completely satisfied with it. When I do it again, I am going to eliminate the mango and instead add an ounce of Citra hops at the last 5 minutes of boil to get the mango flavor. Actual mango fruit is a difficult fruit to get flavor from.

Brewhouse efficiency: 80.5%
ABV: 5.6%

7.25 lbs Brewer's Malt 2-row
1 lb Wheat Malt
6 oz Bonlander Munich Malt
6 oz Carapils

Mash at 148F for 60 minutes.

0.75 oz Cluster hops (5.4% AA) - Boil 60 min
0.25 oz Cluster hops (5.4% AA) - Boil 20 min

Cool to fermentation temps and rack to primary. Oxygenate and pitch yeast. After 5 days (or whenever primary fermentation ceases), add the secondary ingredients:

1.5 lbs mango, pureed and frozen with 3 oz of vodka.
Follow the pepper instructions carefully, or you will end up with a beer that can melt lead
1.5 oz habanero peppers. Halve the peppers (leave seeds, stem, and skin intact), and roast them in an oven until the skin begins to blacken, then freeze them for at least one day. I used store-bought habanero, if you are using peppers you grew yourself, try to estimate how they measure up against what you would find in the store, and adjust amount accordingly.

I found that this mass of habanero adds a pleasant kick to the beer; a warming sensation as you swallow, which lingers for about 30 seconds before dissipating. Some of my wedding guests thought that it was a little too much heat for their comfort, whereas others didn't think it was enough. Be prepared this a few times to dial the heat in.

Leave secondary ingredients in for a week or less. I have never made this and allowed the peppers to stay on the beer for longer than 7 days. I don't know what would happen if I did, and because I love my esophagus the way it is, I don't plan to find out.

If anyone brews this, I'd be curious to see what they think. Most everyone at my wedding enjoyed the flavor and the surprising pepper kick, so I hope the same is true of you.

This sounds pretty awesome. Usually I don't enjoy peppers in my beer, or rather peppers in my stouts and porters. But at the State of Origin festival a local brewery had made an amazing ghost pepper IPA that was, well, just the bees knees. So that opened up my world a bit. I tweaked your recipe a bit for my own tastes and style and came up with something that i think will be pretty amazing. I changed the yeast to a saison i have had on hand for a bit and changed the hops to Citra with the addition of a slight dryhop. Hopefully this will be one of my best beers yet. Cheers!

I originally planned to do this one as a saison, but my base saison recipes all were a little more funky-tasting than I wanted for the mango and habanero. But just because I didn't go that route doesn't mean it won't work! And yeah, high five on the Citra usage. I will be brewing this again later this summer and will try the Citra - but I'll wait for your report on how it tastes first!

Back