Proper way to ramp up temperature of Lager for Diacetyl Rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Augusto Sotero

Reaction score
Hi guys!

So, I have tried to find everywhere in books and internet about this but had no success.

What I have found, though, is that when my lager is about 50% attenuated, I should ramp up the temperature to about 18°C for the yeast to clean up themselves.

The question is: what is the proper way to ramp up the temperature? Do I need do set my temp controller like 1°C every 12 hours or so, or I can just set the temperature to 18°C ?

I don't have a heater in my fridge, so if I just set the temperature to 18°C it will naturally goes up just changing temps with the environment, would that be slow enough for my temp change?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thanks guys.

Cheers

Set your controller to your target D-rest temperature and let the beer "free rise" on it's own. How fast or slow it rises doesn't matter as long as it does rise

When I first started lagers I also found a lot conflicting opinions as to when to do a d-rest, and I initially tried to stick with the "d-rest at ~80% fermented" rule. But nowadays I just do my d-rest at day 10 of fermentation and haven't had any issues.

As far as raising the temp, since you do not have a heater I agree with BLL and just set your controller to the desired temp and let it naturally rise...

Thanks guys.

I was worried if even "free rising" the temp this change in temperature could stress that yeast and produce off flavors.

That's why I was considering free rising in steps, like setting to 12°C in one day, and the next 14°C... something like that.

But as you guys think it would be ok to free rise from 10°C to 18°C, I think I am gonna go with that.

I don't think there's a right or wrong way to do it. As soon as my gravity is half of what I started with (e.g., 1.056 changes to 1.028), I warm it up to room temp all at once. I don't need no stinkin fancy gadgets to slowly ramp. Beer turns out good regardless.

Back