Proper fermentation to keg to pressure timeline

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

403Brewer

Reaction score
So I'm brand new to kegging so excuse my ignorance here, but I'm just wondering what is the proper cycle (roughly) for a beer once I'm satisfied with the fermentation, can I transfer to keg and put the pressure on right away (assuming not force carbing) or should I let it sit in the keg for a while? And if I do let it sit in the keg should I put some pressure on it before giving it the full beans? I'm sure this depends on style a bit but just a rough guideline would be awesome...thanks!

Purge a couple times with CO2 after transferring to the keg, than you can immediately bring to serving pressure to start carbonating (or higher if you want to carb faster).

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you have the equipment, give the batch a week-long cold crash in the primary before racking to the keg. Run a bit of CO2 into the keg before racking, purge after racking, sealing and checking for leaks.

If you're going to store it for a while before carbing up, there's no need to keep it under pressure.

Back