Propane Valve Pressure (PSI) Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ere109

Reaction score
I recently bought a new burner to brew with. It has a 5 psi rating. I figured I'd give it a shot during my brew session today. It's much quieter than my "other" burner. Unfortunately, it doesn't get my wort to a rolling boil. I'm assuming my other burner may be 10/20 psi. What is the best propane valve pressure? Any tricks to modify the 5 psi unit to get more umph?

What burner are you using? The pressure is relative to the size of the burner, the fuel type and orifice size.

I had a couple of cookers that I wanted to take the burner off and use them on a stand. But the regulator/hose/orifice were all one piece. To make it work, I bought an adjustable 0-30 psi regulator at Menards for $19. I then needed the hose (also menards, $7) and a separate brass orifice. This setup is ideal, I have two burners the BG10 and the BG12, and the 12 works better at a higher pressure, so I can tweak it. You can get the orifice at tejassmokers.com for 7.95, or they can set you up with the whole deal - adjustable regulator, hose, orifice - for probably $30-$40.

I'm not sure what brand it is, as it came as a set with a keggle. The burner is round and base is square, best I can do.

Here are the 3 most common
A. (BG10)
HP.jpg

B. (BG12)
Cast6Propane.jpg

C. (BG14 aka Banjo)
Banjo.jpg

Definitely a bg10. I can probably use it for heating mash and sparge water, anyway.

Latest posts

Back