Propane Regulator as Cask Aspirator -- check valve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
While most people who use a propane regulator (~0.5 psi) use it as a cask aspirator, I'm initially planning to use one to provide a low-pressure blanket of CO2 during cold crashing and lagering to prevent suckback. However, my question is valid for both uses: do I need some sort of check valve? Is there a risk of pushing moisture through the regulator, either from a cask or a cold crashed fermenter?

I tried the standard gas shutoff valve that so many of us have on our standard CO2 regulators, but I don't think the pressure out of the regulator is enough to crack the check valve.

Then I've found these inline push-to-connect fittings with a .3 psi crack, which should work.

Or am I just thinking about this too much, and should just hook up the dang regulator and get on with my day?

Oops, never mind the inline valves: "Designed for use with liquids, not suitable for air and vacuum applications."

Any other options, or just skip it altogether?

I've been using a fixed 11" wc/~0.4 psi propane regulator for cold-crashing for a few years now - there's a thread somewhere on HBT covering it.
No check valve needed, just stick it down stream of a primary regulator set for 10+ psi and you are good to go...

Cheers!

btw, speaking of check valves in this application, I actually had to remove two of the check valves from the 4-way manifolds in the two fridges I use for fermentation (and eventually cold-crashing) because the spring-loaded check valves were too strong to let a measly ~0.4 psi through to the pair of carboy fermentors each fridge can hold. I marked the QDs to indicate "these don't have checks!" but as long as I don't overfill kegs when I use one or the other fridge for cold-conditioning/carbonation it's all good in the 'hood :)

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back