Propane gas grill as boil burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfej50

Reaction score
A dedicated propane gas burner is on my wish list. In the meantime I've been using an electric stove top for small batches (1 1/2 to 2 gal). I also have a 3-burner propane gas grill on the deck. Has anyone used a gas grill for the boil? Did it work or not?

The prime question is: is it sturdy/stable enough to withstand the weight of water + kettle on it?

Even if it is, you are likely to find that the burner is too far away from the bottom of the kettle to heat it to a good rolling boil.

The best deal I found was online at Home Depot. They have a 55,000 BTU Bayou Classic you can order for $50 and free shipping.

I doubt a gas grill will be a good choice for boiling They distribute the heat quite a bit. Also I wouldn't want to clean the grease off the bottom of my kettle every time I used it.

Seconding what everyone else has said, unless they're cast iron grates they probably wont hold up very well and you'll lose a lot of heat. Ever consider supplementing your indoor brews with a heatstick?

Back