Propane Burner - Runs out fast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HokieHomeBrew

Reaction score
I just bought a gauge for my propane tank so I can how much propane is left in the tank at any given time. I did two all grain batches this past weekend and the gauge went from 'filled' to almost 're-fill'. I even heated the sparge water on the electric stove. All I used the propane for was to heat up the strike water and perform the boil for two 5- gallon batches. Is this normal for a 20lb tank to run out this fast? Am I running the flame too hot? Or what. The propane burner I am using is the Banjo Burner from Northern Brewer.

sounds like too much gas being used.
I get several batches from a single 20lb tank, even when I used my KAB5 burner which throws a lot of BTU's out.

was the tank JUST filled before you tried this experiment? I don't think propane loses pressure until its very close to empty or gets too cold as it phases from liquid to gas.

i could be wrong though...

I just bought a gauge for my propane tank so I can how much propane is left in the tank at any given time. I did two all grain batches this past weekend and the gauge went from 'filled' to almost 're-fill'. I even heated the sparge water on the electric stove. All I used the propane for was to heat up the strike water and perform the boil for two 5- gallon batches. Is this normal for a 20lb tank to run out this fast? Am I running the flame too hot? Or what. The propane burner I am using is the Banjo Burner from Northern Brewer.

I'm gonna guess that you are using an exchange type of propane tank. If so, right off the bat you only have a 75% fill or 15 lbs instead of a full 20 lbs. The Banjo burners can put out a hell of a lot of heat. Running them at high flame levels will go through fuel at a fairly high rate. You waste a lot of fuel running at high flame levels as there is only so much heat that can be transferred through the kettle bottom to the wort. A higher flame will heat faster, but it's a diminishing return thing where you lose a lot of fuel efficiency when doing so. Try running the burner somewhat lower and get your tank filled instead of exchanging it. The best way to determine how much fuel is in a propane tank is to weigh it. A bathroom scale works well for this. The empty 20 lb tank should weigh about 28 lbs. There should be a stamp on the collar marked T.W. (tare weight). This is the weight of the tank when empty. Subtract the T.W. from the total weight to determine how much fuel remains.

I never do an exchange, always have the tanks filled at U-Haul. The exchange prices are too high and you don't know if you're getting a full tank or not.

Thanks for all of the suggestions....I am in a small town..are there common places that fill tanks?? Like a home-depot or something? Where do you guys get your tanks filled?

Thanks for all of the suggestions....I am in a small town..are there common places that fill tanks?? Like a home-depot or something? Where do you guys get your tanks filled?

Try this place:

Bell Oil Company
2753 Peppers Ferry Rd NW, Christiansburg, VA 24073-6715
(540) 639-2019

or this one:

Southern States - Christiansburg Service
885 Roanoke Street, Christiansburg, VA 24073
(540) 382-2984

Home Depot will only exchange tanks, not fill them. Many times RV dealers will have propane available. U-Haul dealers often sell propane as well.

catt is right; banjo is awesome for the task, but too powerful on full burn. get the wort up to a rolling boil, and that's all. it doesn't have to catch the wort on fire. my 11 gallon batches have a 20 lb propane lasting 5-6 burns

Im not sure if anyone has mentioned this or not, but how do you know the gauge is accurate? Is it one that you goes by weight, or is attached to the tank? I have one that is attached to the tank and it will go into the "low" section on the first or second brew. I then leave the gauge on the tank, but disconnect my burner line - sometimes it will lose the correct reading when its not all attached and will be good for another 3 brews. Basically this my gauge is not accurate. I always have a full tank waiting in case

Hokie I'm with cat22. I go to southern states in Christiansburg. They do check to be sure that your tank is up to date. The last time at southern states my tank was out of date and Walmart exchange is what I found the most reasonable exchange. They don't care if its out of date. I did feel like I got less gas than I was supposed to. I have never used bell but will price them when I refill again. I have also used CL camper at the Radford end of 114. Are you a local or student?

Back