Propane Burner Recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Al

Reaction score
SWMBO has decided to buy me a burner for a graduation present (well I asked her to buy it anyway). I'm about ready to start 5 Gal AG brews, but I want something I can kick up to 10-15 gals someday. Any recommendations? My only budget constraints are it should be under $100.

I want something that works fast, safe and can scale up in the future. I'm not sure the banjo burner I've seen referenced in some posts fits that or not.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

I have the 60,000K BTU hurricane burner. It is enough to get 15 gallons going on a very very soft boil.

By this i mean:
it was 0 degrees out 2 weeks ago, i brewed 10 gallons of pale ale and had 14 gallons pre boil thinking it would boil down. It did not. i was left with 12 1/2 gallons. luckily my og with 10 gallons was way high and my efficency was 82%.

The hurricane burner is very very fuel efficient though. i would totally buy it again if I was going to be doing 5 gallons batchs all the time. I will be trying another 10 gallon soon when the weather is in the 30s and we shall see if i get a harder boil this next time.

Well, I got the Bayou Classic, and it works for me.

As it was explained to me, you could by a different regulator if you want to burn more propane and achieve higher temps.

Is that really true?

I just picked up a Bayou Classic at Home Depot for $45.00. 150,000 BTUs. I'm planning on moving up to 10 gal batches soon and didn't think the 65,000 BTU one I had would cut it.

My wife really needs to stop me from going to HD, I also picked up a cheep plastic utility sink for my brewroom.:D

Back