Propagate with a root?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hounds

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been beaten to death but I couldn't find exactly a post or thread.
I have a dozen roots that were the bines coming from the mother plants.

Since it was the bine and has fairly large carrot looking root can I plant THIS? OR put in water? Or is it simply an offshoot of the original mother rhizome? Technically it is the bine I guess right? So NO to planting? Looks live though right now. IDK. No shoots coming from it though.

Is that the part that actually die off? Just dug some up for the hell of it from where I had transplanted from last Fall. They look independent from the main rhizome I planted 2 years ago.

Thanks for my ignorance here . I don't fully understand but my HUNCH is that these large roots ( thickness of my thumb and maybe 10 inches long ) are the roots that are dead or will die after I cut the bines.

OR if left in soil, would they be capable of producing more shoots/bines ?

Sounds like you're talking about rhizomes. The roots pretty much grow downward and the rhizomes grow horizontally out and away from the crown. The major difference is that the rhizomes have vegetative buds (some folks call them 'eyes') which will turn into shoots that will climb and produce hops whereas roots do not. Lop it off and stick it in the ground, it'll grow!

These were growing vertically . THey have no bud's they really look like roots to me. However, why would the bine be coming right off of them and not from below? THat's my question I guess. They don't look like any other rhizome I've ever seen. Off White in color or cream colored I guess.
Do some of the roots die off and become part of the soil every year? or do roots AND the rhizomes also stay dormant?
I should probably grab a photo later today.
Thanks

Picture would be great. The main root system is perennial but some very fine roots near the surface come and go depending on growing conditions. If you follow one of the vines back to the soil you'll normally be at the end of a rhizome or the actual crown of the plant. The 'white/cream' color you describe makes me think something other than a root as they're generally darker than the rhizomes.

Heres the pic's. The dark portion is where it was cut from ground level. Both have little roots if you will or hairy's you can't see from the pic.

hop1.jpg

hop2.jpg

Might be enough there to form a crown. You will be out time and a gallon of water, if you pound them in to some decent size pots and see what happens.

TeeJo

Looks like roots from here. Just dig a shallow trench and bury them with an inch or so of soil. If there's any buds on them they'll pop up in a week or so.

Back