Bulk Conditioning Belgian Strong Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crusader1612

Reaction score
I've got a large belgian Dark Strong Ale on thebrewing cards thisyear, and as I'm looking at a long period without brewing I figured I might be able to brew something big, and let it age for a long time.

the OG is around 1.080-90, with the FG probably around 1.020-ish.
The plan is to ferment for 2-3 weeks, then rack to secondary for at standard temps for an additional 2-3 weeks. Followed lowering the temperature for cold crashing, and leaving to age at around 6-7degrees celsius for up to 3 months.

Is this ok to do and how will affect the final brew?

and how long can I age in carboy, before I';d need to rack again, or can I just leave it for 3 months?

and Lastly will I need to add yeast for bottling, when the time Comes?

Cheers, Rob.

You can age in secondary for months if not years.

+1

I made a 11.2% Abbaye Style Belgian Ale back in 2010. Fermented it just like a regular ale and then bulk conditioned it for about a year in the secondary. After that, I did add some yeast at bottling. I think I used WLP099 which was a big mistake. I should have just used the same Belgian yeast I used to ferment with. Reason being is that 099 is notorious for consuming every available sugar which over carbonated the brews. (I didn't know this at the time or I wouldn't have used it.) I may or may not have had to add yeast to bottle condition, but I didn't want to take any chances. I figured, "What's the worst that could happen?!" (I also made a starter: making a small mistake a bigger one) I bottled in reused 750mL Belgian bottles and corked them. I let them age for another year. They turned out fantastic except for the fact that they were WAY over-carbonated. A lot of the bottles turned into beer fountains when they were uncorked! None exploded, but There was some serious pressure in those bottles! I only have one left. Makes me sad. :(

bugger! thats not what I want.
would I get away without new yeast? the other option is the Dry cask Conditioned yeast?

I'm looking at much longer than 6 weeks, looking at double that, so I think I'm ok for time wise, its just a yeast issue

I did an imperial nut brown ale last year that primaried for ~4 weeks and secondaried for ~4 months. Carbed up like a champ with no extra yeast.

You'll be fine with a three month secondary, and (depending on strain used) you probably won't need more yeast, as your ABV will be ~9%.

I'm a big fan of bulk aging bigger beers.

homebrewdad said:
I did an imperial nut brown ale last year that primaried for ~4 weeks and secondaried for ~4 months. Carbed up like a champ with no extra yeast.

You'll be fine with a three month secondary, and (depending on strain used) you probably won't need more yeast, as your ABV will be ~9%.

I'm a big fan of bulk aging bigger beers.

Thanks. Will be using WYEAST 1214 from a harvested brew

+1

I only have one left. Makes me sad. :(

That's what I HATE about Belgos. They are so incredibly delicious onced they've aged for a long time, you drink them up, then they are gone.

I think my next one will be a 10G batch, it probably still won't last. :cross:

Cyclman said:
That's what I HATE about Belgos. They are so incredibly delicious onced they've aged for a long time, you drink them up, then they are gone.

I think my next one will be a 10G batch, it probably still won't last. :cross:

I'm probably never going to drink that one now because I'll always be looking for the perfect event/celebration, which there will never be a good enough one!

But to stay on task, I like bulk aging as well since the beers will be more consistent in the end.

Built a Belgian Session ale to get some yeast on this brew.
OG1.038
Than It'll be onto this... Unless I can get another IPA in between the Session Beer and Strong... 10 day ferment only I think?

Built a Belgian Session ale to get some yeast on this brew.
OG1.038
Than It'll be onto this... Unless I can get another IPA in between the Session Beer and Strong... 10 day ferment only I think?

That beer will not require any aging and probably wouldn't benefit much from age. I can't guarantee a 10 day ferment will be enough, your hydrometer will have to tell you that, but chances are it will be enough for the primary ferment. I'd still give it a week after it's finished with the primary ferment.

tyzippers said:
That beer will not require any aging and probably wouldn't benefit much from age. I can't guarantee a 10 day ferment will be enough, your hydrometer will have to tell you that, but chances are it will be enough for the primary ferment. I'd still give it a week after it's finished with the primary ferment.

This session brew is to merely get a yeast cake for my large beer coming up. This 1.038 beer will be drunk fresh as intended by the brewer... Thanks for the input though.

+1

I made a 11.2% Abbaye Style Belgian Ale back in 2010. Fermented it just like a regular ale and then bulk conditioned it for about a year in the secondary. After that, I did add some yeast at bottling. I think I used WLP099 which was a big mistake. I should have just used the same Belgian yeast I used to ferment with. Reason being is that 099 is notorious for consuming every available sugar which over carbonated the brews. (I didn't know this at the time or I wouldn't have used it.) I may or may not have had to add yeast to bottle condition, but I didn't want to take any chances. I figured, "What's the worst that could happen?!" (I also made a starter: making a small mistake a bigger one) I bottled in reused 750mL Belgian bottles and corked them. I let them age for another year. They turned out fantastic except for the fact that they were WAY over-carbonated. A lot of the bottles turned into beer fountains when they were uncorked! None exploded, but There was some serious pressure in those bottles! I only have one left. Makes me sad. :(

You don't have to use the original yeast, as the amount of flavor added in bottling is incredibly minimal. But, as Ty said, you don't want to add a yeast that attenuates more than the original. Belgians should be fairly carbed, but you don't want bombs.

Back