Progress

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aidkb97

Reaction score
Hi

I’m doing my first homebrew and I’m on day 3 of fermentation, just wondered if some more experienced homebrewers could take a look at the images and help me confirm no bacteria’s gotten into it. Also my current temperatures at about 17.6c and is this a bit too warm for fermentation and will it majorly affect my brew

Attachments

• F62DF59F-F900-4815-B3CA-BCDE06E697AD.png
    F62DF59F-F900-4815-B3CA-BCDE06E697AD.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 26
  • C04534E9-7E54-4609-8E01-DC3FF18D7317.jpeg
    C04534E9-7E54-4609-8E01-DC3FF18D7317.jpeg
    225.1 KB · Views: 26
Looks fine to me, 97.

17.6 C is 63.7 F, which is near perfect for most ale yeasts. If you are using a lager yeast, it would be too high. What kind of yeast did you pitch?

Cheers for taking the time to reply.

Happy to hear it looks Good but I’m using a Bavarian lager yeast, I couldn’t find a colder place in my house to store it. It seems to be fermenting atm though, will it just take longer?

No, the opposite, probably faster.
Metabolically, yeast like warm, they will be more active.

But lager yeast at those temps will probably produce significant fruity esters, which at some levels can be pleasant but at higher intensity they can turn to unpleasant. The sweet spot for most lager yeast is 50F.

Thanks again for replying. I’ll keep monitoring it for now and see what comes from it. If I have any more issues I’ll come back to here. Cheers again.

I’ve binned the pack now but from what I remember it was mangrove jacks Bavarian lager yeast. The fermentation temperature recommended between 8 to 14c.

could take a look at the images and help me confirm no bacteria’s gotten into it.

I can assure you that millions of bacteria have gotten in. Happens to all of us as the air is teeming with bacteria. On the good side, you pitched a few hundred billion yeast cells that quickly modified the conditions in your fermenter so the bacteria can't multiply. Now quit worrying, your beer is going to be fine.

Back