Program/App for Water Volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

typebrad

Reaction score
I'm going to start doing some BIAB's and I am having trouble with my water volumes. I know I need about 6-6.5 gallons before my boil for boil-off to hit 5 (target batch). Problem is I'm not going to use the same amount of grain in every recipe.

Is there a simple calculator online, or can someone explain to me how to figure it out using Beer Alchemy, or Beersmith? I would imagine it's the same language across the board?

Thanks,
BIAB newb

/Will always still be figuring it out/

I use the KISS method:
About 6 gal strike water for 5 gal batches (in 10-15 gal kettle)
About 10 gal strike water for 10+ gal batches (in 15 gal kettle)
regardless of the grain bill.

You can do a small sparge or top off the kettle to the correct preboil volume.

Try to accurately measure your gravity and volume after the mash (or preboil) and post boil so you can calculate your brew house efficiency.

After the first few batches you'll have a good idea about how much water you lose to grain absorption, average efficiency, etc.

If you already have your recipe up in BeerSmith, go to the Vols tab. Gives you a total volume needed based on your specific equipment profile.

capture-63056.png

I bought Beer Alchemy. Great app but everyone seems to get the calculations from Beersmith. A lot is the language, too. Some, I simply don't understand. I'll get there.

Brew house is about to get super-inconsistent (I'm guessing). My first few brews were boiling off at about an hour with an ambient temp of like 75°-80°, but in Southwest TN it might be 100° in my garage in the summer.

/Will always still be figuring it out/

The second page of the biabacus has a unit conversion tool. Works well and does more than just help you with volumes.

Latest posts

Back