Process Control - Simplify?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobadays

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I hope this is the right category to put this under...thinking you guys will have a lot of experience with system flow control!

You would think for a retired Public Works Director this would be a piece of chicken... but this kind of flow control is out of my wheelhouse I guess. What is pictured below will work but I'm certain there is a simpler way. HELP!

Currently: Moving hot silicone tubing from one QD to another, spilling wort with each move. Occasionally forgetting to turn off a valve and spilling considerable wort and being scalded in the process!

Goal: To turn valves on and off to shuttle wort through the system as desired - removing no silicone tubing until clean-up. (I wish the budget would allow electric solenoid valves as I would love to design and build an additional control panel that would provide push button switching from one process to another...but alas no rich uncle! )

As background, I am a handicapped brewer - only one arm - so I find my eBIAB to be a sweet rig for AG brewing. I love it! I also use the QDs from Bargain Fittings rather than Cam-Locks or Tri's as those are too difficult to maneuver. When moving hoses from one QD to another it is difficult to pinch off the hose and slide the QD with one hand...I can do it but often I lose my pinch either when taking it off one QD or installing it on another. I know I will likely have more loss in a valved system but I can adjust my grain bill and water to make up for those losses. NOTE: the Hop Rocket (HR) is not always used but when it is there would be considerable hose switching....I do whirlpool my wort.

Is there a "manifold" configuration that would simplify this valve layout? Am I over thinking this? I just don't want to move hoses! In my design I am using an additional 8 valves, can it be done with less?

Thank you in advance!!
Don :mug:

BrewPlumbing.jpg

Back