Problems With Low Hop Utilization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BikeAndBrew

Reaction score
So it seems like I am, for some reason, getting low utilization of my hops. My beers have just not been coming out with the expected bitterness level and/or hop flavor and aroma. Here's the details:

I noticed that the beers I was making recently weren't coming out as hoppy as I wanted them to, both in bitterness & flavor/aroma. So, a buddy and I both brewed the all-grain version of Austin Homebrew's West Coast Pale Ale. We both followed the exact same recipe and same steps,brewed on successive days at each other's house. Sure enough, once the beer was finished & carbed up in the bottles, his came out with significantly more hop bitterness and aroma than mine. It's not that my beers aren't good, they definitely are. They just don't have the level of hops that I want and expect. His beers were noticeably more bitter & had greater hop flavor and aroma. So, it seems like I am having some sort of problem with hop utilization.

Some details on my process:
-I use tap water that I treat with Campden to get rid of Chlorine
-I do 5 gallon all grain batches boiled in a 12 gallon aluminum pot on a jet burner outdoors
-I have only ever used pellet hops
-I precisely measure my hop additions using a medical-grade scale
-I use an immersion chiller/ice bath combo to chill the wort prior to pitching yeast
-Average ferment time for beers is 2-3 weeks, primary only
-I bottle straight from the primary & store bottles at about 73 degrees F for 3 weeks & then put them all in the fridge

I've done some reading & cant seem to figure out what my issue is. Anyone have any ideas?

Water.

It is the biggest ingredient in the beer. do you know your water chemistry? If you're using tap water, you could get a water report and find out for sure.

Wow Yooper that was quick! Thanks! I suspected that someone would mention the water profile. I do not have a water profile report as of yet. I did grab one of the little free water quality kits from Home Depot the other day. Would sending that in give me all of the information I need to build the correct water profile?

Wow Yooper that was quick! Thanks! I suspected that someone would mention the water profile. I do not have a water profile report as of yet. I did grab one of the little free water quality kits from Home Depot the other day. Would sending that in give me all of the information I need to build the correct water profile?

No, probably not. But if it's free, it's worth a try!

I used Ward Lab (way back when they were dirt cheap!). You need to know alkalinity, carbonate hardness, calcium, sulfate, chloride, sodium and magnesium. The water report at Ward Lab now is $26.50, which may be worth it to you if you really want to know your water report.

Ok thanks. The kit is free to send in, & it says it only takes a week to get it back, so it's worth a try. If it doesn't give me what I need, ill try the Ward Labs thing. Thanks again.

First, go to your water provider. They may have a water report, though that often doesn't include all the information brewers need. Some do, though. Also, and as importantly, the water report should state if they use different water sources different times of year. Many sources do. If so, you'll need multiple water reports for the different times of year.

I would do one batch with bottled spring water. If it comes out better, voila, it's your water.

Pretty good chance it is your water, its just how much effort you want to put into fixing your water vs. buying it bottled.

First, go to your water provider. They may have a water report, though that often doesn't include all the information brewers need. Some do, though. Also, and as importantly, the water report should state if they use different water sources different times of year. Many sources do. If so, you'll need multiple water reports for the different times of year.

I would do one batch with bottled spring water. If it comes out better, voila, it's your water.

Pretty good chance it is your water, its just how much effort you want to put into fixing your water vs. buying it bottled.

While I agree with the jist of this, I'd say to not use spring water. I'd use RO or distilled water. That way, you have a blank slate.

some spring waters are high in bicarbonate, but some are low in bicarbonate. You won't know, and then you may have off-flavors due to the bicarb level or something else, and that still wont' fix the issue! RO water will totally be able to let you know if it's water related, or not.

While I agree with the jist of this, I'd say to not use spring water. I'd use RO or distilled water. That way, you have a blank slate.

some spring waters are high in bicarbonate, but some are low in bicarbonate. You won't know, and then you may have off-flavors due to the bicarb level or something else, and that still wont' fix the issue! RO water will totally be able to let you know if it's water related, or not.

With RO, for AG, wouldn't you have to add some minerals, etc.?

Some of the mass produced spring waters have the mineral content published, you could select a "low mineral" water.

Or, you could mix your treated tap water with 2/3 RO water, which would reduce the minerals accordingly.

Waiting for my book Water to ship soon!:mug:

With RO, for AG, wouldn't you have to add some minerals, etc.?

You wouldn't "have to", but it's optimum to add a bit of calcium.

That can be as easy as adding a teaspoon of calcium chloride to the brewing water. It's certainly not necessary, but it is generally recommended.

For a hoppy beer, a teaspoon of gypsum would work great and enhance the hopping.

Ok Yooper, so say I go with RO water for my next brew, & I want the Pale Ale to come out nice and hoppy. Should I just add a little calcium chloride & gypsum, or is more needed?

Back