Problems with Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrooNoob

Reaction score
So, I just recently finished brewing my first beer, and I decided to crack one for the festivities yesterday only to find out that the priming sugar hadn't fermented and carbonated the beer. I only opened one, but I am afraid that the rest of the batch will be the same. It was only a gallon brew, and i'm looking for some quick easy ways to add carbonation, even if it's just long enough to down a bottle. I want to know what this beer would taste like if it had turned out as planned, so that I can decide whether I want to brew it again or try something different.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

How long ago did you bottle and how much priming sugar did you use? You generally want to give it 2 weeks in the bottles to allow it to carbonate before you put your bottles in the fridge to cold condition. The only "quick" way to carbonate a beer is if you keg it, and you can either force carb or use Blichmann's quick carbing setup.

How long ago did you bottle and how much priming sugar did you use? You generally want to give it 2 weeks in the bottles to allow it to carbonate before you put your bottles in the fridge to cold condition. The only "quick" way to carbonate a beer is if you keg it, and you can either force carb or use Blichmann's quick carbing setup.

This^^

What temperature have the bottles been in and for how long. At 70 degrees it usually takes 2-3 weeks then chill them for a day or three.

I had them at about 70 for 2 weeks before I even thought about cracking one. maybe there wasn't enough resideual yeast to ferment the priming sugars? and I'm not exactly sure how much sugar I put in. it was however much the guys at the the supply house measured out for me in the recipe.

When I bottle carb which is rare since I keg, I always preferred to add priming sugar right in the bottle. Most folks like batch priming in the bottling bucket, but I racked straight to bottle from fermenter. I rarely had "duds" this way.

You can find priming sugar calculators online to tell you exactly how much sugar to use per bottle if you try this method.

If you ever decide to keg, carbing is much more controllable. I prefer to bottle from keg with a beer gun. Some small breweries bottle limited production runs in this manner.

Back