Problem with my bung hole

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWRIGHT

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I only recently started using 1 gallon carboys so I could do more experimenting making 1 gallon mead batches. I primary in 2 gallon buckets and then transfer into 1 gallon glass carboys for secondary/clearing. I bought #6 stoppers for them as every where I could see, it seems that is what most people are using. For the life of me, these things do not seem ideal. When wet (which they always are when inserting because they are coming straight out of sanitizer solutions) they will not seal. No matter how far you push them down into the carboy, they just work themselves back up. While the weight of the airlock on top of it should hold it down sufficiently, this seems less than ideal to me. I've also used the normal stoppers I use for my 5, 5.5, 6, 6.5 carboys, (not sure on the size of them but they work just fine), I've really got to jam the $hi% out of them to get them into the 1 gallon. I have no doubt that I'm going to split a carboy neck putting one of these in and give new meaning to my"blood orange" mead. Anybody else having this problem?

Maybe they aren't standardized? Not sure what the number is in reference to actually, the diameter at the top? If I had stoppers with the same top diameter but were a 1/2" longer and a bit less tapered, I'd be in business.

No, the (little) weight of the airlock is not sufficient to hold them down. They're wet and s-s-slippery.
You could tie them down to prevent them from popping up. Use a piece of (metal) wire or string under the rim, with 2 tie downs over the top. Like a cork cage.

Those are the gallon (wine) jugs with the little handle near the top, correct? Like screw cap growlers, but twice the volume.
#6 is indeed the correct stopper for those.

I have the same problem. The #6 stoppers fit, but they often slide back out again. It is sometimes difficult to get them to stay in. I have sometimes resorted to tying them down to keep them in.

Yes, I have some that are the screw top with the the handle on one side (some from Northernbrewer, some from Carlo Rossi ;). I can get the stoppers that I use for my beer carboys (5-6.5G). They will go in but is not easy and I'm afraid I'm going to split the glass. Surprised there isn't a better solution than tying them down like a champagne cork. Lol.

Universal stopper, I haven't used. But added to my next order to see if that works.

Dry them out. Wipe the neck of the carboy out and let the Starsan air dry on the stopper. It should stay.

Dry them out. Wipe the neck of the carboy out and let the Starsan air dry on the stopper. It should stay.
That's what I do. Just for a little added insurance, I add a rubber band .
20210101_202154.jpg

Attachments

• 20201029_223054.jpg
    20201029_223054.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 12
  • 20210101_202154.jpg
    20210101_202154.jpg
    940 KB · Views: 12
I am not sure if stoppers are standardized but here's a chart. I went looking for a very small one once (#0000) and it seems there are measurements for the top and bottom diameters. A digital caliper would help you to measure your jug.

I have tried the sanitize and let dry routine as I have a stopper with a thermowell that I use for my carboys that tends to pop up. I only remember to have it ready about 1 out of 3 times but it does help.

I dip mine wet in a little brewing sugar and the friction stops them popping out. If i need an airlock in a starter i use parcel tape.

Another option is that the ones I have are old jugs of different fluids and they have screw threads. You could get some caps, drill them out, and put a grommet in them. I bought a couple of caps from somewhere they are like 50 something? millimeters. Although the better caps for growlers I find have that plastic dome underneath and drilling it might not be good long term for say a mead. Maybe a little tape on it if you thought the threads weren't sealing well enough.

Back