Problem with heat stick.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hockeygreg44

Reaction score
I recently made an electric heat stick following these instructions: http://lovebrewingcompany.com/brewing/diy/heatstick/ The only thing that I did differently is to use JB Weld Kwik because I has some lying around.

I built it a few days ago and today I went to test it out to see how much water I would lose to evaporation during an hour boil. I did check it yesterday for leaks by submerging it in water for a few minutes to see if I had any leaks. I did not. I collected 5 gallons of water at about 84F and put in my heat stick as well as turned my stove on to get it to boil. It worked great! I was able to heat that 5 gallons of water to boiling in about 34 minutes! I let it boil away for an hour not thinking any thing of it. After the boil, I let me heat stick cool and then set it no the counter. I immediately had about a half a cup, if not more, of water come rushing out onto my counter spilling everywhere. After I got that all cleaned up I looked at my heat stick to see if I could see any holes in the JB Weld, I saw one tiny pin prick and then I noticed that the JB Weld looked like it was peeling away from the metal!

Has anyone else had this happen to them, if so, is there any way that I can fix it? I am going to be brewing my first AG batch of beer on Sunday and I need another heat source to heat up my wort because my stove alone can not boil 5+ gallons at 1 time.

Get the proper JB Weld? I'm not sure what the temperature range is for the Kwik stuff, but my guess is boiling water is too high if it's breaking it's bond.

Back