Problem with Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean9252

Reaction score
I carbonated my kegs at 20psi for about a week, then removed the gas and cooled the keg. When I tap the keg and pour it is ridiculously foamy. Any tips on how to fix current kegs and what are the steps I should be doing to carbonate? I have seen many different techniques what works best?

sean9252 said:
I carbonated my kegs at 20psi for about a week, then removed the gas and cooled the keg. When I tap the keg and pour it is ridiculously foamy. Any tips on how to fix current kegs and what are the steps I should be doing to carbonate? I have seen many different techniques what works best?

What temperature was the keg at 20psi?
What temp did you chill to?
How long are your beer lines?
What psi did you set for serving or you trying to serve at 20psi??

Try and provide more details about what you did

Temp was 65 degrees to start when I carbed it. Chilled to 36 degrees for 1+ weeks, almost 2. No gas hooked up in cooler. Beer lines are what came with kegerator. Serving pressure is about 10#.

You may need to use a plastic pitcher to serve from until you get the CO2 in the keg under control. If it's over carbonated, de-gas the keg carefully by pulling the relief pin on the keg to burp some of the CO2 pressure out. You might have to do this three or four times a day to relieve that pressure. Set your serving CO2 down low, say 2 PSI, and pour slowly and carefully. Keep it set there until it stops foaming and starts pouring clearer.

sean9252 said:
What steps can I take to prevent over carbonation in the future?

Do you see a lot of bubbles rising from the bottom of your pour or almost no bubbles and boat load of foam? It may not over carbonated if no bubbles, does it taste flat?

If a lot of foam and no carb it may need more time to absorb the Co2. If lots of bubbles and lots of foam it's over carbonated.

I found this to be a good resource:
http://morebeer.com/web_files/morebeer.com/files/kegging.pdf

Temp was 65 degrees to start when I carbed it. Chilled to 36 degrees for 1+ weeks, almost 2. No gas hooked up in cooler. Beer lines are what came with kegerator. Serving pressure is about 10#.

I'm confused. Did the beer stay at 65° the whole week it was on 20 psi, or did it just start at 65° and then was on 20 psi while at 36°? If you left it at 20 psi and 36° for a week, then it's definitely overcarbed. And if you don't have gas hooked up in the cooler, how are you applying 10 psi serving pressure?

If you pour a few beers consecutively are they all completely foam, or does the pour get progressively better?

What steps can I take to prevent over carbonation in the future?

The easiest way would be to use the set and forget carbonation method. Use a carbonation table or calculator to determine the serving pressure you need to use to achieve your desired carbonation level at your beer temp, and let it sit at that pressure and temp for 10-14 days. If you're in a hurry, you can try starting with the pressure at ~30 psi for 36-40 hours, and then reducing to serving pressure.

Depending on your carb level and serving temp, your beer line may not be long enough to slow the beer sufficiently to prevent foaming.

Latest posts

Back