problem boiling with new converted keg and sq14

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjack2

Reaction score
Hello out there
Had a brew day yesterday that was going great until I tried to use my new converted keg and new burner (a bayou classic sq14). It took 90 minutes to bring my 6.5gallons to a slow rolling boil only. What is going on? With the keg on the stand the bottom of the keg is a good 4-6 inches from the flame and flame height was only about an inch with the air flow valve wide open and the regulator wide open. Is that the problem? Any thoughts?
thanks
ben

Dont know the type, but so far I have found two reasons for my burners to have low output;
1 was the tank was almost empty,
2 had something to do with the regulator or opd device on the tank, I just shut everything off, then restarted and I had full 'roaring' flame again
3 haven't done it yet, so don't know

My regulator sometimes goes wacky... I have to shut it off and tighten it off hard. Then it seems to work fine. You should hear a pretty good roar when it is running full out and the flames should be more than an inch high.

Ed

There is a safety device built into the regulator. shut down the regulator to off position. close the tank, open the tank, open the regulator to desired flame.

You have tripped the surge valve which is designed to dramatically reduce the flow of gas in the event that the gas line is severed, burned through or otherwise compromised.

Here's the fix:

1. Close the tank valve.
2. Open the control valve to relieve pressure in the gas line.
(in your case, the knob on the regulator)
3. Close the control valve.
4. Open the tank valve fully.
5. Open the control valve and ignite the burner.

What you want to avoid is opening the tank valve with the control valve open which will cause a momentary strong rush of gas and that can often be enough to trip the surge valve. When shutting down, turn the tank valve off first, then the control valve.

Sounds like this is solved already, but FWIW I was doing 10 gallon batches with my old sq14 without any problems...

Back