Probe Location

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FB12

Reaction score
Hey All,
I'm in the process of building a keezer & plan on using a Johnson Controller. I don't want to submerse the probe (maybe just paranoid!) so I thought I'd tape it to a bottle of water & insulate. Would this be effective or problematic? I assume it's better than dangling in the air. In my ferm. chamber, I taped it to the fermenter & covered with bubble wrap with good results. I know this is probably a common question, but any thoughts appreciated. Thanks! :mug:

I use the same technique to control both of my fridges and my keezer: temperature probe under an inch of foam, strapped to the side of whatever vessel I want to track. In my ferm fridge it's a carboy, in my cold conditioning/carb fridge it's a full keg, and in my keezer I strap the probe to middle of the most full keg...

Cheers!

Thanks DT, that's the way I'll do it also. Oh yeah, I also used your idea of running wires & hoses in through the cover. I think it'll work slick! Thanks again! :mug: How did you reattach the liner?

bar6.JPG

bar9.JPG

[...]How did you reattach the liner?

Nothing I did actually changed how the freezer is assembled. The liner is screwed to the lid at the corners, then riddled with plastic pop fasteners (must've been at least 30 of the things). Fortunately those were the kind that are reusable. On my previous keezer the pop fasteners were one-time use and were totally trashed when I removed them.

So once I had everything under the liner ready to go I just screwed and snapped the liner back in place, then screwed the manifold through the liner into the sleeper, which pretty much completed the lid mods. At that point it was ready to be attached to the chassis and hooked up to the power, control, and gas feeds...

Cheers!

I keep my probe attached to a water bottle under insulation. I usually already have a keg at serving temp so don't want to tape it to the newly introduced (warm) keg. That would likely make my cold keg colder.

I keep my probe attached to a water bottle under insulation. I usually already have a keg at serving temp so don't want to tape it to the newly introduced (warm) keg. That would likely make my cold keg colder.

That begs the question: why not attach the probe to the cold keg then?

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back