Probably ruined a small porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vrodbrad

Reaction score
Good day all. Well, a few weeks ago a buddy of mine gave some of his wort that he had left. It was the second running's of the mash. I took it home and it was about two gallons. I did the boil the next day and added some other fermentable sugars I had to it. After it was cooled down. I had just under a gallon of wort. I put it into my 1 gallon fermenter and add the yeast.

Now the yeast was old and was washed and had been sitting in the freezer for along time and I believe this was what caused the problem of the fermentation being stuck.

I bottled four bottles of it then realized I did not take a gravity reading. I took the reading and it was stuck at 1.05 started at 1.064. I slowly poured the bottles back into the fermenter for I figured those might become bombs. I added some dry yeast and some yeast nutrient. This morning just a small amount of positive pressure in airlock. Will have to just wait and see.

You've definitely done a lot of risky things to this beer.

You mentioned that your yeast was a washed yeast that came out of the freezer? Meaning it was frozen?

You should have just dumped the beer that you bottled. A slight risk of infection and also oxygenating from pouring bottles back in is unavoidable.

But perhaps you know all this and aren't looking for advice or comments. In that case keep us posted on how this turns out!

Yeah, it was just mainly a rant of what I had done. I have been brewing a couple of years and had not done something so stupid. Hopefully another person will see and say oh wait I don't want to make the mistake that guy made.

I learn more from the posts on here where people have made mistakes rather than where people have pulled something off to make delicious beer.

Back