Probably my biggest **** up, what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Nino

Reaction score
Accidentally added double the amount of sugar while bottling, what should I do? Check the bottles daily until the carbonation is right? Or put them in the fridge already and be safe drinking flat beer (but at least it’s beer) lol

what kind of beer? og,fg? What yeast? And how many volumes of co2 did you shoot for? What kinds of bottles?

IPA, US-05, 1.060 - 1.011, I usually just put 1/2 tsp of cane sugar, put in a full tsp by accident. 12 oz bottles

If it was me I'd probably wait two or three days (maybe less or maybe longer??) then open one each evening to see how much carbonation there is (and to drink it!), and once it seems 'enough' and too risky to keep it going, put them in the fridge.

sampled one after day 2, still undercarbed. I'll try again on day 4, there was barely any carbonation. Wonder if the rate at which the carbonation builds up is the same (usually takes 5 days to fully carb at room temp where I live)

sampled one after day 2, still undercarbed. I'll try again on day 4, there was barely any carbonation. Wonder if the rate at which the carbonation builds up is the same (usually takes 5 days to fully carb at room temp where I live)

The generally accepted time frame for bottle conditioning is 3 weeks at about 70F. I have never tried a bottle at less than two weeks. At 2 weeks I would say that a little over half were fully carbonated. The rest were low to almost no carbonation. At 3 weeks almost all were fully carbonated and ALL of my beers tasted better at 3 weeks or longer. This is year round in both Rhode Island and Florida. Sitting inside sometimes at cooler and sometimes at warmer temperatures.

If you have not uncapped the over primed bottles, watch them very carefully. They could go from under carbonated to bottle bombs quickly. I don't know how long it takes. Or the curve of carbonation amount. Is it linear or on a curve over time?

Assuming beer was fermented at room temperature and was completely done when bottled a full tsp of cane sugar will put you at about 4 volumes which may or may not be too much for your bottles. Especially if any are lighter weight commercial bottles. Most for purpose homebrew bottles would probably hold.

If it was me I would guess that if I removed the cap and replaced it right away with a new one I would reduce the pressure enough that the beer would be saved and I'd sleep ok at night not worrying about bottle bombs. I would still treat the bottles pretty carefully. Store them in a box, maybe a double box, preferably in a closet, garage or other closed room. Don't take them traveling or ship them out as christmas presents. But really 4 volumes should be ok in decent bottles. Now if you were really distracted and put 2 tsp into some of the bottles that could be more of a concern.

If it was me I would guess that if I removed the cap and replaced it right away with a new one I would reduce the pressure enough that the beer would be saved and I'd sleep ok at night not worrying about bottle bombs.

I've had to vent beer down before. Usually I pry the cap up a bit until the beer foams almost to the top then take pressure off the cap and re-crimp it. It can take quite a few attempts to get the pressure down to where you want it. Never had a problem with them leaking after re-crimp. Taking the cap completely off you'll have beer everywhere if it's over carbonated.

All the Best,
D. White

Back