Priming with Maple Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FB12

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a porter in primary & thought it may be cool to use maple syrup for priming instead of corn sugar. I have some real home made syrup & i was wondering if 4.5 oz. for about 5.25 gal. would impart any flavor? I don't want alot of flavor, just a hint. Anyone done this? Also, i assume you'd boil it with water before adding to bottling bucket? Thanks!

The maple flavor will be lost. That is my experience and many other people.

It takes much maple syrup to give any maple flavor. It is an expensive way to prime.

I finally used maple syrup extract for a porter. The amount varies with the brand of extract. Try 1/4 teaspoon in 5 gallons and work up from there.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if there would be any flavor out of that little amount. You're right, that stuff's not cheap! Guess my wife can use it on her pancakes! Someday i'll try an extract. :mug:

To get some maple aroma use fenugreek. for true maple flavor, you need to use blackstrap maple syrup (Grade B) at flame out or preferably as an add in primary fermentation.

To get some maple aroma use fenugreek. for true maple flavor, you need to use blackstrap maple syrup (Grade B) at flame out or preferably as an add in primary fermentation.

Since when is grade b called blackstrap?

i haven't gotten around to trying it myself yet, but others have reported success using syrup to prime. i'd give it a try. at worse you won't get much and it will be like using corn sugar. certainly worth the experiment.

To get some maple aroma use fenugreek.

That statement seemed silly until I researched it. You are right, I apologize. Fenugreek is an excellent way to evoke a strong maple aroma. And if people can smell food, they often think it tastes like that.

Here is someone's experience with fenugreek.

I have primed with syrup before. It is tough to accurately carbonate due to variability of sugar content. Just something else to keep in mind

Back