Priming with Fructose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solidghost

Reaction score
Anyone tried using Fructose as their priming sugar before. Saw them stocking fructose in the health food store and I was wondering whether they are better than normal table sugar?

And anyone tried using Fructose as an adjunct before?

Slightly cheaper than Dextrose.

Well, I'll take a stab at this one...

Dextrose is a form of Glucose (D-Glucose). As we know, using table sugar (sucrose) is generally OK for priming, but some argue (justifiably) that it can produce cidery flavors. Sucrose is a disaccharide containing glucose and fructose. So, if dextrose does not produce any off-flavors, and it contains glucose molecules, but sucrose can produce off-flavors and contains fructose (along with glucose), one could reason that the fructose is causing the off-flavors. So, bottom line, fructose = potential off flavors.

(PS: I pulled that out of my a$$, so anyone can feel free to rip it apart if I'm wrong:D.)

menschmaschine said:
Well, I'll take a stab at this one...

Dextrose is a form of Glucose (D-Glucose). As we know, using table sugar (sucrose) is generally OK for priming, but some argue (justifiably) that it can produce cidery flavors. Sucrose is a disaccharide containing glucose and fructose. So, if dextrose does not produce any off-flavors, and it contains glucose molecules, but sucrose can produce off-flavors and contains fructose (along with glucose), one could reason that the fructose is causing the off-flavors. So, bottom line, fructose = potential off flavors.

(PS: I pulled that out of my a$$, so anyone can feel free to rip it apart if I'm wrong:D.)

That has to be one of the best "I just pulled this out of my a$$" explanations that I have ever heard!! :D

I had always thought that the reason why there are off-flavours in the case of surcose is because it is more different for the yeast to break the bonds and create alcohol. Basic sugars like glucose and fructose should not create off flavours? I am not very sure about that. But what I know is juice are mainly fructose.

Back