Priming temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slamback

Reaction score
When figuring amount of priming sugar, I need to factor in the temperature. My question is: what temperature do I use? I am ready to bottle my bock. I fermented at 52 deg, lagered at 33, but will bring it to room temp to prime. Which temp do I use to calculate? The fermentation temp? Thanks!

If you're using a priming calculator, it's important to use the highest temperature the beer reached during or after fermentation.

Here's why- cold solutions "hold" co2 better than warmer solutions. A beer that was at 70 degrees will have less residual co2 bubbles than a beer at 50 degrees.

Those calculators try to guesstimate the probable amount of residual co2 by using that principal.

The issue is this- for a lager, say you fermented at 50 degrees. Then did a diacetyl rest at 68 degrees. Then lagered. Then brought it back to room temperature. Since no new co2 is produced after primary, bringing the beer up for the diacetyl rest would have "released" more co2 than at 50 degrees. You may notice a lot of bubbling when you bring a cold fermenter up to room temperature. That's why.

So, if you use 50 degrees as your temp in the calculator, you will grossly underprime your beer and end up with flat beer, as the beer released much more gas at room temperature than the calculator accounted for. Using the highest temperature that the beer reached during or after fermentation will work, as the co2 won't be replaced as is bubbled out. Even if the beer is at 60 degrees at bottling, if the beer WAS at 68 degrees, use 68 degrees!

As you can tell, I'm NOT a fan of priming calculators. Not just for this reason, but because their "style" information is wrong also. Yes, some beers are less carbed than others, but few bottled beers are actually under 2 volumes of C02. They'd have you have flat English beers, which would be more typical in a cask ale.

Generally, for most people who want carbed (not flat) beer, a good rule of thumb for lagers and pale ales and the like is 1 ounce of corn sugar per gallon of beer. There are instances of wanting a beer higher carbed (perhaps a saison) but certainly not as high as some of the calculators would have you make them!

Anyway, sorry for the LONG response. I just wanted to explain why you should use 68 degrees (or whatever) for the calculator and don't be led astray by their suggested "style" volumes of co2!

First batch I bottled I used 3/4 cup of corn sugar for 5.5 gallons and it was not fizzy enough. After much reading in this forum and doing some other research I have found that 6 ounces for 6 gallons works perfect for my taste. But I believe that gives me 2.7 atmospheres and most bottles American style any way are not rated for anything over 3 atmospheres.

I have no clue how many "cups" of sugar I use because I think it is much better to weigh it.

Kind of wondering Yooper have you heard that about the bottles and 3 atmospheres?

First batch I bottled I used 3/4 cup of corn sugar for 5.5 gallons and it was not fizzy enough. After much reading in this forum and doing some other research I have found that 6 ounces for 6 gallons works perfect for my taste. But I believe that gives me 2.7 atmospheres and most bottles American style any way are not rated for anything over 3 atmospheres.

I have no clue how many "cups" of sugar I use because I think it is much better to weigh it.

Kind of wondering Yooper have you heard that about the bottles and 3 atmospheres?

No, I have no idea what bottles are rated for. But I do get nervous when I see people making wheat beers and carbing them "to style" with 3-4 volumes of C02!

I went with the calculator, using 52 deg- the highest ferm temp... We'll see what happens. It ended up being a little less that what I usually use so I think im going to be ok. Thanks for the help!

If you're using a priming calculator, it's important to use the highest temperature the beer reached during or after fermentation.

Here's why- cold solutions "hold" co2 better than warmer solutions. A beer that was at 70 degrees will have less residual co2 bubbles than a beer at 50 degrees.

+1 to this, just in case there was any doubt. ;)

Back