Priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jb3218

Reaction score
Can i use granulated sugar for priming? If so, how much for a 5 gallon batch? I know i have to boil to desolve.

Yes, table sugar is a little different than dextrose that I use, 5 oz. to prime for 5 gallons. At least I got one of the answers out of the way :)

Thanks for the quick responses folks. I feel better knowing that I don't have to use corn sugar all the time. Is there a big difference between corn and granulated sugar other than corn sugar is more of a powder than granulated? I just finished two batches of an apple ale and bottled the first batch with table sugar and want to do the same with the second batch. The reason is that I added the apples at different times when I made them and I want the carb. to be the same. Thanks again!

Volume wise will not be enough to make that much of a difference if at all. The sugar just gives a little extra food for the yeast to munch on and create some extra CO2

Search "priming with table sugar" and you'll find all the info you seek.

Back