Priming sugar when bottling off keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scuba_Steve81

Reaction score
Hello,

My LHBS recommended that I put 2 of the small priming sugar tablets in each bottle when bottling off my keg. He said that in his xp, although already carbed, beer still tends to go flat after a couple days when bottled this way without the tabs.

My beer is a hef, so it is already highly carbed. I estimate it is at a 3.0.

Also I was under the impression that after a few cups pulled from the keg, that all yeast would have fallen out of suspension and been poured out of the keg, leaving none to process the priming sugar in the bottles?

I've never had a beer go flat after bottling from the keg, but the key is to use a beergun or other counterpressure filler. Filling from the tap is not a good idea- the beer will go flat, as well as be oxidized. But if you're using good technique, adding priming sugar may mean explosions.

This is a cheap and easy way to fill bottles from the keg: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=24678

I've won competitions with this method, so I know it works!

I'm no expert, not sure I would do it. I know that people bottle from the keg for beers going to competitions, and don't believe that they add any additional sugar to the bottle. I see two things that would happen...1)you get lots of exploding bottles, or 2)you end up with a lot sugar in the beer if there was no yeast left to ferment the sugar, which leads back to #1...if there is enough yeast in suspension to ferment the sugar, you risk over carbing and bottle bombs.

I wouldn't think that commercial breweries add sugar to the bottle after the beer has been force carbonated before bottling.

Back