priming sugar/ table sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdev167

Reaction score
So I have always used priming sugar that I get when I buy my supplies at my local brew store. Anyway my question is, I forgot to get priming sugar when I got supplies to brew a hef. I am planning on bottling tomorrow and I don’t think I’ll have time to run to the brew store to get priming sugar. I was wondering about table sugar? I know people use it to carb their beer but how much do you use in a 5 gallon batch and does it give off any flavors that might change the overall taste of the beer? I guess I am just trying to say should I go to the store and get priming sugar or is table sugar just as good?

A) The amount of sugar you use to prime is such a small amount compared to what has already been fermented in the beer, B) it's going to ferment out completely, and C) the yeast has already done all of the reproducing it needed to do (and thus, all of the yeast-generated flavor compounds are already present that are going to be present). For all of those reasons, you should be comfortable knowing that it won't have any noticeable effect on the flavor of your beer. Well, except for making all of those wonderful bubbles, but that is what you are going for.

Latest posts

Back