Priming sugar in my kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron_Blackhurst

Reaction score
My American Wheat kit came with a 5 oz bag of corn sugar for priming. Should I use the whole bag or weigh it for volume.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

You'll probably be good using the whole bag if that's what came with your kit. That's what I always do and have never had a problem.

Use a priming sugar calculator. Those little baggies are pre-packaged and one is shoved in just about every kit. The old adage is 3/4 cup per 5 gallons but if you use a priming sugar calculator, you can put in your fermentation temperature (residual CO2) and your beer style (IPA, Stout, Etc.) and it will help you calculate the proper sugar addition to nail the correct level of carbonation in your finished beer. Google "Mr. Malty."

I used about 3/4 maybe a bit more of a 5oz bag. Didn't weigh it but it was a brown ale kit and it came out fine. Haven't had any gushers or bottle bombs and honestly I think the carbonation is perfect. Would that last bit have made much difference though? Probably not. But I'll never know.

Back