Priming sugar for multiple batch sizes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed a five gallon Belgian blond from extract. I'm experimenting with yeasts I harvested. I made a 3 gallon batch using the yeast that came with the kit and two 1 gallon batches using the yeasts I harvested. I'm getting ready to bottle. Regarding priming sugar, I have two dilemmas. First, according to Northern Brewer's calculator, I need a tad bit more than the 5 ounces of corn sugar that came with the kit (5.38 oz total). Do I need more sugar? And, is it better to make one batch of priming sugar and split it up, or make one batch for each beer? Or, am I just totally thinking about this wrong?

What co2 volumes did that give you ? I'd just add a little sugar to make up the difference or just scale back a tad for each one. You can make 1 batch of solution but measure out exactly for each one so you dont end up with under carbed or bottle bombs

Unless you are really concerned about carbonating to style, or just want a somewhat fizzier beer you can probably just roll with the prepacked priming sugar that you have. I have added table sugar to increase the carbonation level when I was short on priming sugar and it worked just fine.

As for making one batch of priming sugar versus multiple, I think your results will be more precise with separate batches, but at the end of the day it's just beer. It will be fizzy and hopefully delicious. Experimentation is part of the fun of this hobby, give it a go and keep good notes so if it works out you can replicate it next time.

Cheers!

Well... I've looked at three calculators. NB andMore Beer both recommend 2.9. For that volume, NB, Brewers Friend and More Beer all give different amounts of priming sugar for the same variables. They are only off by about .10 oz for a 3 gallon batch. I think I'll make 3 batches and weigh the sugar out on a scale I have. I'm assuming that the amount of water I dissolve the sugar in isn't the most important thing? As in maybe 8oz water for the three gallon batch and 4oz for the 1 gallons?

I would think those water volumes would be fine, but perhaps someone with small batch experience will chime in to verify.

Cheers!

I would think those water volumes would be fine, but perhaps someone with small batch experience will chime in to verify.

Cheers!
If you are priming to the same volumes for all three containers then make one batch of solution, put three fifths of it in the three gallons and one fifth in each oh the others. You do not need to be that “exact” with calculations. Just get close.

Whew... what a brew workout. I ended up making a priming solution for each batch, since I didn't care much for the idea of leaving a batch for 5 gallons sitting around while I bottled each batch. There was a transition of cleaning and sanitizing the bottling bucket and auto siphon between each batch. I don't think I will try to bottle 3 individual beers in one sitting any more. Way more work than its worth, regardless of what size of batch. Also, I think this experience is making me curious about kegging!

Back