Priming sugar delema

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReaperOnefour

Reaction score
Hello all. So I ordered a package deal that came with 5 packets of 1oz of corn sugar from Amazon. I received them today & noticed that all 5 packets say 1oz, but have different amounts of corn sugar in them. 3 are full, one is half full, & the last one has a little less than half. I don't have a scale, so I have no idea which packet is an actual ounce. I suppose I could bottle prime my one gallon batch, but would rather batch prime. Can anyone help me with trying to figure out which packet is accurate?

Sorry for your problem, but I think you are out of luck without a scale. You can probably get one at a Bed Bath and Beyond, Walmart and for sure at a Harbor Freight. They are only about $20. It was one of my early purchases and is indispensable. Get one.

There's a dependency on how fine the corn sugar was ground, but 1 cup of CS weighs ~7 ounces, which translates down to one ounce = 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon...

Cheers!

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the replys. I've decided to get a scale. I was looking at the ultraship 35. Northern Brewer has it for $33 or $35. Plus I get my AHA discount. The reviews on it are pretty good. Has anyone used this scale before? Is it any good?

I would look on Amazon, and try to find one that reads to 0.1g (instead of 1g) for measuring hops. There are several highly-reviewed scales in the $10-$15 range.

Back