Priming sugar before bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lunatic2103

Reaction score
So I just got done brewing my first batch and I was racking it into the bottling bucket and about 1/4 the way through I realized that I had not put in the priming sugar so I hurried up and through it in. Then after I was done bottling I looked at the instructions and I forgot to boil water and add the priming sugar in that way I just tossed it in the the bucket while it was racking. Is this going to have some negative effects to the beer???

I would expect mixed results on carbonation. Some may have little, some may have lots, maybe too much.

How much raw sugar was left on the bottom of the bucket after you filled all the bottles?

I don't think there was any noticeable sugar left at the bottom I did stir it around after adding the sugar maybe that helped it dissolve

Well stirring it may have caused a different problem. That can cause oxygenation since fermentation is over with. If you did stir it well, then there's less of a chance of bottle bombs/under carbed bottles, but possibly higher risk of a cardboard flavor from oxygenation.

Just put in the books as a lesson learned. Who knows, maybe it will be totally fine. But now you'll always remember about the priming sugar!

I'm used to remembering that before I rack my beer, there should be some liquid in the bottling bucket already and that is the water/dextrose mixture. If it's not there, I'm not ready to rack yet. Good luck

- ISM NRP

granted, I'm a newbie myself, but I don't think u have to worry much.

as long as you didn't stir it very vigorously, I don't think oxidation will be a big issue.

you may have an issue with the sugar not being well distributed, which may be the biggest concern.

you also might have a chance of contamination since it wasn't boiled, but you're probably fine if it came out of a sealed package

I didnt stir it heavily just kind of lightly in a circle right before bottling mainly tring to see if it felt like there was any sugar in the bottom of the bucket still so we will see what happens, it is all bottled now anyway so only time will tell and Im sure after making this mistake I will not make it again.

Thank you all!

after making this mistake I will not make it again.

Thank you all!

Absolutely. But there will be another sort.

That's part of the game. It's good!! It's what keeps you motivated in the strive for excellence.

Back