priming sugar amount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bizit524

Reaction score
Ok I am about to bottle and I have a major discrepancy on which one to do.
I am using a canned beer the premade stuff and the instructions says to use 2.5 oz of priming sugar for my 40 pint kit.

I have an app on my tablet "brewer's friend" and I used the priming sugar calculator on that is I put in lager with 23 liters with a volume of co2 of 2.5 at 20 degrees c and it says 151grams which turns out to be 5.32 oz.

Which one should I do? I dont want grenades. last time i used this app the discrepancy was only about 1/2 oz between instructions and calculator and it turned out fine..
But this one is much more and i want to make sure 5.3 is ok before I actually do it
I am literally about to bottle right now , guess i should have checked/asked this ahead of time.

That amount sounds good.

A safe rule of thumb is 0.75 oz to 1oz of dextrose (corn sugar) per GALLON of finished beer.

I'm showing 4.4 oz of corn sugar on MoreBeer's calculator. I have no idea where the kit came up with 2.5 oz.

Seems to me even my low carb EB used more than that 2.5oz. I'd go with the larger amount,as that 4.4oz sounds more normal.

Back