Priming requirements for a dry irish stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaxmickey

Colin Craft Brewing
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm sitting at the end of my second batch (ever) primary fermentation. It's also the second time I'm making the same Irish stout recipe. The last time I primed w/ 3/4c of corn sugar and didn't end up with any carbonation. I'd appreciate an answer to how much to use this batch. My OG=1.040

P.S. no keg....priming to a second 6gal bucket.

Thanks in advance!

Please clarify what you mean by "priming to a second 6 gal bucket".
I assume you mean you are adding the sugar to a bottling bucket and racking the beer onto it. However, if you mean you are racking to another bucket with the priming sugar and letting it sit, well there is your problem.

Regarding your first batch, please detail your steps for priming and bottling. You should have had carbonation with 3/4 cup of sugar, if done correctly.

I dissolved the sugar in 2c water that was cooled off after boiling. I added the mix to the bucket, then racked the beer into it. From there, I let it sit one week at room temp and another week cold crashed. I went to bottle from there.

I dissolved the sugar in 2c water that was cooled off after boiling. I added the mix to the bucket, then racked the beer into it. From there, I let it sit one week at room temp and another week cold crashed. I went to bottle from there.

There is your problem right there. When you put the sugar and beer in the bottling bucket you need to bottle right away. If you let it sit all the sugar will ferment out and you not get any carbonation. The purpose of the priming sugar is to create a mini fermentation that creates the CO2 for carbonation in the bottles.

Good. Now the next thing to do is get a scale to measure the priming sugar. Volume is not a good way to measure the sugar. Then you can look up one of the online priming calculators and use the correct amount of priming sugar. For example I prefer my stouts lightly carbed and like like saisons very higly carbed. The amount of sugar determines the carb level.

Another thing worth considering; now that you are becoming aware how to prime and bottle, note that your previous method likely created a fair amount of oxygenation of your beer, i.e., exposure to air. Once the biggest part of fermentation has died down, usually within a couple days, you should make a concerted effort to keep oxygen away from your beer as it will negatively impact the flavor.

Thank you all! I have a scale, and noticed the weight vs volume issue from the calculator. And as far as oxygen, I really am trying to limit the amout of air that I can until I can get my hands on a co2 tank and start keg conditioning.

Thanks again!

You can probably save your stout as long as you have been sanitary. You should get you hands on some priming tabs/carbonation drops, uncap that batch, add a tab to each bottle and re-cap immediately with new sanitized caps. Wait 3 weeks with the bottles at 70 degrees and they should carb up.

I would have tried that, but already pitched it when it wasn't working out. Carb wasn't the only brewing lesson learned with that batch :)

Sorry to here that. Live and learn. Hope the next batch turns out great. Cheers.

Latest posts

Back