Priming Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrider736

Reaction score
Looking to bottle my 1st brew in over 3yrs and have to say I have zero idea how to Prime my beer ? and this is the point in which I have made huge errors in the past.

I am ready to bottle (next wk or so) a small 2g batch.. I have a bunch of choices in house.. Carb Tabs, LDME, Priming sugar, and Honey...

What I have read of ....

3/4 Table spoons of Priming Sugar in each Bottle
2-4 Carb Tabs per Bottle ( depending on brand)
3 Tea spoons of Honey in 1/2 Cup/Water per 1G of beer

Any Help would be greatly Appreciated !!

A priming calculator really helps. This is one I use. Has changed recently. Looks more like advertising until you fill in the three cells at the top.

I started out with choosing "priming to style", kept good notes and then decided if I liked the carbonation to style, or a little more, or a little less carbonation.

For temperature use the highest fermentation temperature, or the temperature the beer has been at for the last few days to a week. Cold crash temperature doesn't count. Cold crashing holds more CO2 in solution than would off gas at room temperature.

Ditto on what the others have said here. Also, make sure the beer is at its final gravity. Take a couple hydrometer readings a day or two apart to ensure it hasn't changed. Don't rely on airlock activity.

Back