Priming glass grenades?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GV00

Reaction score
So I bottled my first batches of cider last night -- 7 single-gallon batches. Since I had AJC on-hand and had done some experimentation previously, I decided to prime with it. I was shooting to add .006 points of SG to each batch, thinking for some reason that that was optimal for bottling in 12oz bottles, but I can't for the life of me remember where I heard that. Well, long story short, dialing in the amount to add proved to be a bit difficult. I ended up shifting the entire batch .008 points on two gallons, .007 on one, and from .004 to .006 on the rest. 12 ounces went into 12oz sprite bottles to allow me to check how far along they were, and this morning all of the bottles were feeling fairly plumped.

Now I'm worried that I just primed a bunch of glass grenades. The SG's had been stable on all the batches for about 2 weeks, so I think they'll be fine if .008 isn't too much sugar, but since I can't find where I got that original goal from, I'm thinking maybe I somehow came up with a random number.

Should I start thinking up how I'm going to pastuerize all this, or am I reasonably safe to let it all ride? A number of bottles are screw-offs, since that's what I had on hand.

I just went from 1.002 to 1.005 at 66 degrees, and it seems very adequate for 12 oz beer bottles. This was 1.7 oz of dextrose for 2 gallons of cider. I got calcs at 2.5 carbs off Brewers Friend site.

Sent from my C5155 using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back