Priming for 3 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwbrewing32

Reaction score
Hey everyone I know that How To Brew recommends using 2 cups water with proper corn sugar amount for a 5 gallon batch. Well I used 2 cups water but for a 3 gallon batch.

My question is should I have scaled down to 1 cup water to avoid diluting the beer down so much?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Home Brew mobile app

My math might be wrong, but by using 2 cups (16 oz) of water, you added .041 ounces of liquid to each pint - less if we're talking imperial pints. It really isn't that significant an amount. Could you use less water? Sure. Less priming sugar, so you could probably do like a cup and a half of water. More importantly, be sure to properly scale the amount of priming sugar for a 3 gallon batch. Weigh it and use a priming calculator.

Short answer - RDWAHAHB

:tank:

I do three gallon batches and still use two cups of water to boil and them add the priming sugar. I've never had a problem!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The water is only to make the sugar soluable, so as long as you can easily dissolve the sugar into solution, the amount doesn't matter.

I usually use 4oz of water to 1.5gal with 1.13oz sucrose, so 6-8oz water and 2.2oz sucrose would be a good starting point for 3gal.

Thanks for the help everyone. I did scale the corn sugar amount back based on a priming calculator online for this style beer, but I just didn't know if 2 cups of water was even necessary for a 3 gallon batch.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back