Priming Calculator - Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamleescott

Reaction score
I'm about to rack my first bottles of beer...very excited!

Quick question about the temperature selection within the priming calculator...

I cold crashed my beer... currently sat at around 34°F. Is that the temperature I should use within the priming calculator or do I add the expected temperature I'll be conditioning the beer at (68°F)?

Thanks

Use the highest temperature the beer was at after the fermentation was finished. Use the 68° temp if you mean the beer will be held in the fermentor for bulk conditioning rather than 68° bottle conditioning.

Use the highest temperature the beer was at after the fermentation was finished. Use the 68° temp if you mean the beer will be held in the fermentor for bulk conditioning rather than 68° bottle conditioning.
So...I fermented at 72, but for the last 2 days I cold crashed to around 34.

So are you saying I should use the temp of 34 in the calculator?

The whole idea is residual CO2. At higher temps, residual CO2 in solution is off-gassed, so calculators use the highest temp to factor in that level of CO2 remaining in the beer for when you're trying to hit a target carb Volume.

The whole idea is residual CO2. At higher temps, residual CO2 in solution is off-gassed, so calculators use the highest temp to factor in that level of CO2 remaining in the beer for when you're trying to hit a target carb Volume.
So to simplify what I understand...go with the highest temp I fermented at...which was 73f....regardless of the current cold crashed temperature.

Last edited:
So to simply what I understand...go with the highest temp I fermented at...which was 73f....regardless of the current cold crashed temperature.
Right. Higher temps off-gasses compared to colder temps, but conversely CO2 doesn't go back in solution if you chill. I actually was of the understanding that you use the highest temp the beer reaches post fermentation (after stabilization of FG), though, but I think we're splitting hairs for these purposes.

As noted, the temp is to estimate the CO2 entrained in the beer. Once you cold crash, you halt fermentation, and the entrained CO2 is what was in there before you crashed.

I assume fermentation was finished before you crashed. It should be the max temp after fermentation is finished. If you are saying fermentation was not finished prior to crashing, then use the temp just prior to crashing.

34 F is the WRONG number! If you use it you will have an under-carbed beer.

As noted, the temp is to estimate the CO2 entrained in the beer. Once you cold crash, you halt fermentation, and the entrained CO2 is what was in there before you crashed.

I assume fermentation was finished before you crashed. It should be the max temp after fermentation is finished. If you are saying fermentation was not finished prior to crashing, then use the temp just prior to crashing.

34 F is the WRONG number! If you use it you will have an under-carbed beer.
Thanks....I calculated the priming solution and entered 72°F....fingers crossed!

Latest posts

Back