priming a 9% ris

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfrank85

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I wanted to get a quick opinion on priming my 9% bourbon oaked ris. Its been in the secondary for.about 4 months now and was in the primary for 2 before that. Is 6 months too long for yeast to be dormant to get a carb lvl? I am planning on aging for another 4-6 months before I drink them. Is that enough time?

Whenever I've done high gravity, I always add more yeast at bottling. I sanitize a SST turkey baster and put a little reconstituted dry yeast in each bottle. That way I know the yeast wont be the weak link in a beer that takes that long to produce. Its good piece of mind for about $3 in yeast and a few extra min.

I am not an advocate of adding new yeast. I fail to believe that shocking young yeast with a 9% environment is any better than utilizing the yeast that are present and already accustomed to the high ABV environment. You may need more than 6 months to carbonate. Each beer is different. I'm guessing that would be sufficient though.

I believe that I've read that most of the trappist and other dig belgian beers are bottled with fresh yeast.

Latest posts

Back